Softball Prepares for a Successful Season

Jennifer+Jarnigan+%2811%29+winds+up+to+hit+a+ground+ball.+

Jennifer Jarnigan (11) winds up to hit a ground ball.

As the season kicks off the Eaton Reds softball team continues to prepare for a successful season full of memories, competition, and hard work. Last year, with the girls placing second in state, the team is working to take home the gold this season. Coach Chad Shaw said, “As a team, we are going to continue pushing to be the top team in the state.”

Shaw also said that their greatest competition this year will be their two rivals, Strasburg and University. After losing to Strasburg in the state championship game last season, the girls continue to diligently practice and prepare so this doesn’t happen again.

Their end goal–nothing short of a state championship. The team has four games under its belt and a record of 3-1, after losing to Windsor at home with a score of 8-13. But the road to state continues to positively develop. The Reds lost several key position players to graduation, but returning this year are varsity players Sophia Comer (19), and Remington (Remi) Ross (19) “There are several new starters this year and I’m excited to see their role in our season,” Shaw said.

Emma Pinkstaff (10) hits a line drive past third base, making it to first.

Eaton is hosting the annual Fightin’ Reds Ramble Invitational this weekend, and seven teams will be competing including Delta High School, Rocky Ford High School, and more teams from across the state. The tournament began Friday afternoon August 30 with a win against Delta High School with a score of 11-0. Saturday the Reds will play Rocky Ford High School at 10:00 and La Juanita High School at 12:30.

To read about other fall sports see the most recent Volleyball and Football stories