Eaton volleyball steps into new challenge

New seniors step up after loosing key players

Rylee+Martin+%2823%29+sets+the+ball+up+for+an+attack.++

Haley Delossantos

Rylee Martin (23) sets the ball up for an attack.

After taking third place at state last year, this year’s Eaton Reds volleyball team is preparing and getting pumped up for the regular season every day. After a heartbreaking loss to Lutheran High School in the state tournament, the girls look to bounce back and take another title.

Both returning seniors taking a varsity position, Noelle Meagher and Andie Anderson, are looking to grow as a team and individually this season. Meagher (20) said, “When we walk into state that first day, when we are underneath the big coliseum lights, I know that I have the confidence and ability to just go out and play my best without thinking twice.”

Looking forward to Saturday’s two home games, the Reds look to start their first couple of games strong with wins over Lamar High School and Buena Vista High School. Anderson (20) said, “At the beginning of the season we have really talked about growing as a team not just physically but mentally as well.” Anderson said, “I want to try my best and work my hardest for my team”

After the games this weekend the team will play in Eaglecrest, for an open high school tournament on September 14. After the tournament, the Reds will begin their regular season in 3A. 

Haley Delossantos
Sydney Mills (22) jumps to hit the ball for a kill.

Although they did lose some key players last year after their senior seasons, Meagher said, “We are capable to go out and do anything. People may doubt us since we lost a couple amazing athletes last season. But the juniors really stepped up into their positions and we have all we need to go as far as anyone else.” The Reds will play Faith Christian High School at home on September 17.   

To read about other fall sports see “Softball prepares”