Boys kick off winning season

Boys start a winning season with a 5-2 record

Back to Article
Back to Article

Boys kick off winning season

Noelle Meagher, Business Manager

Eaton boys basketball looks forward to their upcoming (18-19) season to bounce back from their tough season last year. The boys started out their season playing in the Northern Colorado Roundup, where they tallied up their first three wins of the season, defeating Gunnison, Basalt, and The Academy. Eaton won their first home game 63-45 over Bishop Machebeuf with Scott Grable (‘21) as the leading scorer. Following with their fifth win of the season over Prospect Ridge Academy, defeating the Miners 70-30, Grable (‘21) as the leading scorer. The boys now start their season with a 5-2 record after losing at home to Highland and Kent Denver.

This years team consists of three seniors, three juniors, and three sophomores, “The perfect balance to start our season with,” said junior Bryce Leafgren. The seniors this season include Mason Willadson, Cody Kessel, and Harrison Zeller. Mason Willadson said, “All of the seniors need to be ready to step up as leaders this year, we are ready to give it our all on every possession, and expect the same from the rest of the program.” Coach Dean Grable tells his team that he is looking for the player that is ready to step up in every situation.

The boys currently stand as the 53rd team in the state, and look to rise their ranking as the season progresses.  Although many of the boys are looking forward to their games against Sterling, Resurrection Christian, and Platte Valley, coach Grable said, “The only game we need to look forward to is the next one on the schedule.”

Returning from Christmas break the boys will play Estes Park and Platte Valley.

About the Writer
Noelle Meagher, Media Editor
Noelle has been studying journalism since her freshman year. She has discovered her love of photography through her work with the Eaton Red Ink. Noelle can usually be found with her camera at any sporting event, theatrical preformance, or special event that Eaton High School puts on. Though she does not write many stories, her photos are attached to many of the articles that you may read. Noelle also manages the social media accounts for the Eaton Red Ink. Noelle spends her free time playing volleyball, softball, and running track. She is usually partnered with her fellow Red Ink staff member, and Sports Editor, Michaela Hill.