Eaton tennis sends eight to state

Kaitlyn Tomlinson, Staff Reporter

After securing a stunning first-place finish at Regionals, Kadie Griffith (18) and Mikaelee Salberg (19) came home with a second-place finish in No. 2 doubles at the State Tennis Tournament Friday, May 11. Eaton sent eight girls to the State Tennis Tournament at the Centennial Tennis Courts in Greeley and Salberg, who still has another year to play, said, “I’m super proud of what we have accomplished as a team. State runner-up is pretty good, and I’m so grateful I had the chance to play with Kadie and get that far in state.” Griffith, who is finishing up her senior year in tennis, said, “I’m so proud of what we were able to do this weekend. I told Mikaelee before the weekend that I just wanted to get a medal whether that meant first, second, third or fourth. And being able to come out with a second-place metal is pretty amazing.” This is the first year the two have teamed up, and Griffith said, “I am so glad that I got partnered with Mikaelee for my last year and that we ended the way we did.”

The 2018 Tennis team began its journey to state with a second-place team finish at the Regional tournament on May 4-5, behind University. Madeline Harper (19) and Abby-Kate Sears (18) grabbed a first-place finish at No. 1 doubles, and Shea Baucke (20) and Peyton Devlin (20) placed first at No. 4 doubles as well. Sears said, “It feels really good to have that title, especially my senior year. We got to beat the team we lost to earlier in the season so to have that comeback felt really good. I’m proud of not only myself and Maddie but also my whole team. We have all improved so much and to see all that growth happen in a short season is really cool.” For the singles, Lindsey Leafgren (18) and Darcie Kaiser (18) advanced to state with second place finishes respectively. Eaton ended its season with an overall record of 8-3 and 7-2 in the league.