Girls end season 18-6 at CSCS

Reds fall just short of state berth

Eaton’s Lady Reds wrapped up their season at regionals when they play their last game against Colorado Springs Christian School Saturday March 3. After losing to CSCS 63-23 for the ticket to state, the Lady Reds season comes to an end with an overall record of 18-6 and a Patriot League Record of 8-2. Eaton’s girls fought hard through the 2018 season, finishing in the top 16 teams of Colorado’s 3A basketball competition.

The Reds made a run out of their season keeping their momentum strong throughout every game. Coach Hernandez said, “Overall, I think that the season was pretty successful. We finished 18-6 and came in second in our league and in the district tournament and I am not sure that many people outside of our program thought that we would do that.” Going nine games undefeated until facing the Sterling Tigers and University Bulldogs. Although the two losses may have set back their path for state, the Lady Reds picked the momentum back up, defeating Strausburg with a loud 52-19 final score. Celsi Jurgensmeier (18) said, “We didn’t dwell because we had more games to play. When it comes to playoffs each team is 0-0. It doesn’t matter how regular season went, it matters who brings it in post season.” Their determination followed through to their next game where they played their first neutral playoff game of the season.

Resurrection Christian brought their best game, but that was no surprise to Lady Reds as they fought through the double over time game to win their first playoff 47-42. The Win against RCHS took the Reds to play the number one seed Sterling at UNC of Friday Feb 23. The Reds battled through the whole game, but fell short losing 43-32. Seniors Celsi Jurgensmeier, Alexis Lamoreaux, and Whitley Ervin played their last game together at CSCS, but their impact on the court didn’t just change games, but it also changed the mindset of the underclassman athletes on the basketball team. Freshman Nakaiya Kuski said, “The seniors helped me through all the plays and everything we did in practice, and they all were very fun and made this season one to remember,” and sophomore Mady Bruch said, “Although we had setbacks their bubbly personalities allowed for the team to find a positive outlook for the next day, and to persevere through the hard times.”