The swim season starts with a few differences

The Reds crush Fredrick High School again at the first meet of the season

The start of the Eaton High School girls’ swim season has begun this year without a home pool. Due to the construction of the current Eaton Middle School pool, and the old Eaton High School (EHS) pool, the reopening won’t be until 2023. The pool at the middle school is the only CHSAA-regulated size pool in Eaton, making it crucial for the swimmers to have access to it. Since the pool is being renovated, EHS is renting out the Greeley Recreation Center pool for practice, and transportation is provided to the center and back to EHS.

This season, the sister duo is returning, marking Sophie Morgan’s (25) sophomore season and her sister, Caitlin Morgan’s (23) final season. S. Morgan said, “Going into the first meet of the season I want to come off strong and start off on a good note. I know the first meet is going to be tough but I can use it to build off of for the rest of the season to get better.” This season’s team includes a good number of seniors such as Aubrey Ledall, Caitlin Morgan, Avril Rodriguez, and Kaiya Sinkler. Sinkler said, “I think it’s kind of sad because it’s the last first, but I really want to focus on doing the best I can this year and pushing myself to the limit.”

“This season is obviously different from others because we aren’t able to swim at our home pool. While it’s inconvenient, I think it gives us the opportunity to get closer as a team when we ride the bus to away meets and practices.”

— Aubrey Ledall

Last year, Eaton won against Fredrick 113 to 67. In 2021, for the one-meter dive Kayia Sinkler got first with 173.20 points and Maddux Chapman (25) finished behind her with 161.95 points. For this year’s 2022 meet, Sinkler got first again with 180.65 points and Maddux Chapman (25) behind her with 177.75 points. Sinkler also took the lead in the 50 Free, with a time of 00:28.70. Alexis Bruntz held the best 100 Free time since she was a freshman, but due to her graduating, the team has a spot to fill. In the 100 Free, Andie Rasmussen (24) took the gold medal with a time of 01:09.39. Ledall, who was not far behind C. Morgan in the 200 Free, had a time of 02:28.87.

Perkins said, “My goals are to improve my skills and beat my old times. Hopefully, I get into state for the 100m freestyle, but my side goal would be to break the 200 freestyle relay on the high school’s record board.” This year at the same invitational, the Reds beat Fredrick 130 to 118.

The next meet will be the Patriot League Relays at EPIC in Fort Collins on Dec. 13, 2022. Stay tuned to the Eaton Red Ink for follow-up stories regarding the Eaton Red girl’s swim team.