Eaton High School golf team acing the season

Golf team cutting off points tournament by tournament

The golf team schedule has been competitive this season and the Reds are holding their own. The first tournament of the season was hosted by Resurrection Christian High School at the Rain Dance National Resort and Golf on Aug. 6, 2022. The Reds placed sixth as a team. Peyton Walker (24) shot an 83, Cache Sanger (23) shot an 85, Cole Lockey (23) shot an 89, and Dayne Schmidke (26) shot a 92. Sanger said, “I try to practice really hard and make sure to keep a strong mental game. It feels good to beat 4A teams and we do it a lot.” Collectively the team had 257 strokes, right behind Liberty Common High School that shot a hard to beat 254 strokes. 

A week later, the Eaton Country Club hosted the EHS home tournament. With fans watching the tournament from their backyards, supporters made posters and put them on the fence to cheer the boys on. As a team, the EHS varsity placed third with 227 strokes, with Resurrection High School in second, only shooting one stroke less. At their home tournament Sanger shot a 73, Walker and Lockey both shot 77’s, and Schmidke shot an 84. Lockey said, “I’ve improved this year by keeping a positive mindset throughout rounds. Just letting all the bad shots go and moving forward. Beating 4A teams comes from our competitiveness and having the right mentality.” Eaton High School’s junior varsity tied with the Brush Beetdiggers for 14th place, shooting 267 strokes. Steven Reynolds (24) shot an 87, Grady O’Connell (25) and Ryan Sharp (25) both shot 90’s, David Reynolds (24) shot a 95, and Alex Williams (24) shot a 107. 

Aug. 25, 2022, the Reds placed second at the Estes Park Invitational at the Estes Park Golf Course. Together the team had 238 strokes, but individually, Walker shot a 77, earning third place, Lockey shot an 80, tying for sixth place, Sanger shot an 81 tying for eighth, and O’Connell (25) shot an 88. Walker said, “I’ve improved quite a bit over the season, but I am looking to do better.” 

With Resurrection Christian being the Reds’ largest competitor, the Reds seem to just barely fall behind them in every tournament. In the Patriot League Championships, at Boomerang Golf Links, the Reds placed second as a team with 326 strokes and Resurrection Chrisitan in first with 304 strokes. Walker led the team shooting a 74, getting second place, Lockey shot an 82, Sanger shot an 84, Schmidke shot an 86, and O’Connell shot a 94. O’Connell said, “Golf is an individual sport but we play as a team.” This advice is going to come in handy when the Reds play in their next tournament at Highland Hills Golf Course for the Regionals Golf Championship. Overall, the team has improved greatly compared to last year and is looking to do even better as they head into the postseason.