Teachers spring break is cut down to three days

Construction schedule limits staff’s spring break

Eaton High School staff’s week-long spring vacation has been cut down from a week to three days. Spring break is supposed to be a week-long vacation that gives students and staff time to relax and rejuvenate after the constant grind of grading papers and going to school. This year, Eaton’s spring break is from March 28 to April 1. 

Some usually choose to spend their break traveling. For seven days they’re immersed in warm weather and exotic culture. Others take the time to catch up on sleep and recharge, but this year teachers will not be able to take a trip or get the extra two days they are usually accustomed to. Spanish teacher Señora Griffin usually spends spring break traveling around the world with her husband. “My husband and I like to travel over break so it just makes it a little difficult to travel with limited time,” she said. One day of the staff’s break will be spent as an inservice day in school. The other day will give staff the opportunity to work from home or come into the building and finish what they need to. Because of the construction schedule and Eaton’s long summer, “there is a certain number of days that teachers are required to work during the year and because of the long summer we are required to work more days during the school year,” said Señora. After Monday and Tuesday of spring break, staff can spend the next three week days, along with Saturday and Sunday, rejuvenating or taking a quick trip somewhere close. Students at EHS will still have a week-long spring break and Señora said, “I’m just glad students get the full week.”