Reds Softball take another run at state

Reds take third in state ending their season 14-4

Sadie+Ross+%2824%29+pitches+the+ball+in+a+regualar+season+home+game.++

Emily Hogsett

Sadie Ross (24) pitches the ball in a regualar season home game.

After an outstanding regular season going 24-4, the Reds ended their overall season at state getting third place. They lost a close game against their rivals, University, 8-7. They were defeated in the third round of the playoffs after beating Fort Lupton and Peak to Peak in the first two rounds. Although the Reds season didn’t finish like they wanted to, they still accomplished many things that they hoped for. Kiauna Smith(25) said, we were able to accomplish some big wins. We started out the season very shaky, so being able to have a 19 game winning streak “helped us grow as a team dramatically.” We also were able to figure out how to work out some of the tough plays in the infield, which will help us going into the season next year.”

The Reds started out the season a little rough, going 5-3 through their first eight games. They ended up going into the playoffs with a 17 game win streak giving them momentum to make a run. Even if they didn’t get the ending goal that they wanted, which would be winning a state title, they did have many things along the way to be proud of. Emma Pinkstaff(22) said, “Towards the beginning of the season you could tell we were a little timid and just nervous. We weren’t playing to our full potential. As the year went on we started to gain confidence and believed in not only ourselves but each other. We started to trust each other and work together as one and that is why we were able to put together a 17 game win streak going into regionals.”

After some vital seniors graduated last year, this team knew that they needed to step up and fill in those shoes, and they did. The seniors this year Pinkstaff, Olivia Comer(22), and Jaelyn Montoya(22) all stepped up to help the team win this season. Pinkstaff had a huge impact on the bases leading the 3A Patriot League in stolen bases with 40 of them in just 28 games. The second place leader in stolen bases had only 28 putting Pinkstaff 12 stolen bases ahead of the runner up. She knew that being able to steal second and third put her in a better position to score which gave the team a better chance of winning if they could bring her in. Her mindset is to win games, and if stealing bases is going to give them a better chance, she will do whatever it takes. 

Smith, coming in as a freshman, stepped up big in her first year on a high school softball team. She was in the top ten in the Patriot League in batting average hitting .448 on the year. She also drove in 39 runs, had 12 doubles, 4 triples, and 4 homeruns. As a freshman, she knew that she needed to play her role and step up in big situations. Smith said, “It feels quite relaxing that I got to have the season I did as a freshman because I feel like I have established my spot for my next high school seasons. It’s also nice to know that the upperclassmen respect me because of the season I had.”

Sadie Ross(24) pitched a great second half of the season after coming off an injury. She started off 7-0 in her first games back from injury. She had an amazing year with an ERA of 1.15 and batters against her had an average batting average of .149. She threw for 89 strikeouts with just 55 innings pitched. She faced 218 batters giving up only 30 hits and walking just 16. Overall the Reds pitchers Ross, Julia Meagher(24), Stephanie Bingley(22), and Montoya had an amazing season. They had an average ERA of 2.09 with a total of 183 strikeouts. 

The young Reds team will strive to get a better result next season to bring home another state title. They are losing only three seniors making this season a little different than the past. Being this young and having eight underclassmen five who are starting, shows how dominant we will be in the next couple years. Pinkstaff said, “The team this year was very young compared to other years. We had a lot of freshman, sophomore or even juniors that never have had any experience on the varsity level but were put to high expectations and they met those.”

The 24-4 Reds didn’t reach the end goal that they wanted, but accomplished many other things along the way. They are looking to come back next year, make another playoff run, and bring home a ring back to Eaton. During the season, the team was able to get closer together which made the softball field a great environment to be. Pinkstaff said, “We started off this year a little shaky. It didn’t really feel like a team nor family, but throughout the year I felt we got closer. By the end of the year I felt as if they were my sisters and my family.”