Girls Basketball heats up Highland’s Court

Lady Reds defeat Highland Huskies on the road.

Girls+Basketball+huddles+up+before+the+game+as+they+prepare+to+play.++While+Coach+Todd+Hernandez+gets+his+team+ready+to+take+on+the+Huskies+

Haley De Los Santos

Girls Basketball huddles up before the game as they prepare to play. While Coach Todd Hernandez gets his team ready to take on the Huskies

Girls basketball blew out the Highland Huskies Friday night. Friday the 13 was a good night for the Reds. Long time rivals just five minutes up the road were no problem for the girls. With a final score of 44-22, the reds fought all four quarters for an easy win. 

Nakaiya Kuskie (21) is still looking to improve, she said, “We need to look to turn the ball on offense and to get together as a team due to all the younger girls we have this year.” Addie Randel (20) had 13 points, five assists, and nine steals. Jenni Jarnagin (21) also had nine steals. Randel said, “All year, we just need to stay composed no matter the time and score and always stay mentally tough.” 

The team started off their season with the Northern Colorado Roundball tournament. They went 2-1 with wins to Basalt High School and Fort Morgan High School. The girls lost a tight game to the Academy, 47-49. 

Kuskie after the tournament said, “Our defense can improve too, but we need to play as a team .”  With their 2019-20 season underway, the Reds look forward to another year full of challenges and new players.  

Coach Todd Hernandez said, “We really just want to get better day by day, game by game.” 

Without three returning seniors, Sydney Booth, Micheala Hill, and Gracie Schreiber, the girls play with four freshmen on their team.  Abiah Randel, Ashleigh Williams, Blayke Duncan, and Leyah Scott. Those freshmen have stepped into the role of a varsity athlete and are playing at the highest high school level.  

This year’s seniors Addie Randel, Kaleigh Williams, and Mady Bruch have stepped into the shoes of the old seniors, and have led their team to three wins already.  

The Reds, now 3-1, look toward their upcoming schedule.  They play Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. They will face 2-2 Kent Denver, 1-3 Prospect Ridge Academy, and later 1-3 Bishop Machebeuf.   All of these games will be in front of their home crowd.  

Haley De Los Santos
Jenni Jarnagin (21) crosses over the ball to beat a Highland defender.
Blayke Duncan (23) shoots a free throw after getting fouled by a Highland defender as Abiah Randel (23) watches closley.