Jazz band plays with the pros

Back to Article
Back to Article

Jazz band plays with the pros

Band director Logan Doddridge hands John Seaver his Louis Armstrong Award

Abigail Vondy, Staff Reporter

Seaver receives Louis Armstrong Award

Jazz is characterized by improvisation and syncopation, held together by a compelling rhythm and Eaton’s Jazz Combo and Jazz Ensemble have been practicing these aspects of jazz the entire year. As they performed seven songs for the community Thursday May 2, they demonstrated their understanding and improvement of this type of music as a whole.

During the first ever all-jazz band concert held at EHS, hosted special guest appearances from professional musicians David Moore (trumpet), Zach Rich (trombone), Darrel Watson (tenor saxophone), Spencer Zweifel (piano), David Baker (bass), and Eaton’s own Mr. Doddridge (drums) who gave the band members a little taste of what jazz at a professional level looks like. Band Director Logan Doddridge said, “It was all about creating what the kids would actually experience in a real jazz setting. The kids knew what tune we were going to play, but they had no idea about anything else. Everything else was improvised. That’s what jazz is. It’s not written out, and that was a really cool experience to give them.”

The jazz bands had the privilege of performing and practicing next to some of the professionals the previous few weeks in order to ready themselves for the performance. Darrel Watson, one of the earlier mentioned professional said, “The thing I enjoyed the most was that the students were really excited and that was exciting for me, too, because I don’t often get to work with people who are so excited about jazz.”

With the moving performances from the professionals came a bitter-sweet goodbye from jazz band seniors. Trumpet player John Seaver (19), who won the Louis Armstrong award for his musical dedication throughout the year, said, “It was the last jazz performance that I will ever

have at Eaton High School so it was cool to spend it with the people that I’ve played with for four years.” And what a good last performance is was. Addie Burke (22), tenor saxophone soloist, described how much the band has improved since the beginning of the year. “At the beginning of the year we were pretty good individually, but together we learned how to listen to each other and know each others sound and how to helped each other out. We’ve grown so much,” Burke said.

The Eaton High School jazz bands have developed tremendously throughout this year and the performance proved how their understanding of jazz has created a beautiful relationship between the students and their music.

About the Writer
Abigail Vondy, Staff Reporter
This is Abigail Vondy's first year working for Red Ink. She is excited for all the new writing experiences she will get to enjoy as the year rolls on. Abigail is a passionate writer and is willing to create a story on anything under the sun, but the type of journalism she is most excited about is feature and entertainment writing. She also loves interviewing her fellow peers and getting their opinions on the topics and stories, which makes the job so much more worthwhile. Abigail cannot wait to be apart of the newsroom crew and help provide information to the students at her school. When Abigail is not interviewing for stories and creating drafts, she loves spending time with her family and friends and helping out around the community.