Boys wrap up season at regionals: Reds wrap up season with 7-3 league record

Back to Article
Back to Article

Mason Willadsen, Dalton Logan, and Harrison Zeller cheer during the district tournament.

Janae Jarnagin, Staff Reporter

The Reds boys basketball team ended its total season after a loss against Faith Christian during regionals on March 1. The boys ended fourth in Patriot League and 7-3 in their regular season.

The season has been a special one for teammates Scott Grable (21) and Ryan Ure (21), who are ranked  first and second as Patriot League athletes. 

Grable, currently first for three-point shots, credited the team’s success to their intense work ethic, “In every practice we go hard and it helps us to be better as a team,” Grable said.  

Ure has had an impressive season, and ranks second in rebounds in the Patriot League. Ure also managed to tie the all time record for rebounds in an individual game. with 20 rebounds in a game against Resurrection Christian, tying a 2009 record previously held by student Seth Lobato. 

Ure was somewhat shocked by his own success saying, “You gotta do what you gotta do to help your team and that’s my job. It’s crazy to think that in the history of Eaton high school I was able to do that.”

The season has been significant to Eaton boys basketball, especially to the seniors who will be finishing up their last season as Reds basketball teammates. 

Senior Mason Willadsen spoke about the significance of the community he has found in the basketball team, saying, “I’m going to miss the comradery of the team. We’re just like one big family, and I know I’m going to be staying in touch with all of them and that’s something to look forward to.”

Senior Cody Kessel credited the connection of the team to Dallas Duran. Duran, a member of the basketball team, tragically died two years ago during the 2017 season. 

Kessel said, “We’ve all enjoyed getting to know each other and create friendships. Dallas is part of, the program and I think we needed to honor him and honor his family.” A plaque with Duran’s number, 2, hangs on the gym wall. Duran was also honored on senior night with his classmates.

Coach Dean Grable commented on the character of the senior teammates, saying, “Every year is a different team, but you see these seniors when they’re freshmen, and then they go through the program for four years. The way they lead on and off the floor, whether its performance, how they conduct themselves, they represent what being an Eaton Red should be in our program.”

About the Writer
Janae Jarnagin, Staff Reporter
Janae Jarnagin is excited to be apart of the Eaton Red Ink staff. She has only recently joined the newspaper, writing her first story in the 2019 spring semester. Janae writes stories on Eaton Basketball teams and whatever else sparks her interest. She is happy to add newspaper to her list of extracurriculars. Janae also participates in Student Council, Knowledge Bowl, Poms Team, and countless others. If you want to find Janae she will probably be the loudest person in the room because she enjoys adding an overdramatic flair to everything she does. If you hear someone who is snorting aggressively while they're laughing you'll have found Janae. Janae would like to thank Editor-In-Chief Sydney Booth for encouraging her to join Eaton Red Ink and changing her life as a dedicated friend.