Garnhart brings home gold: Four seniors place win the top three

Back to Article
Back to Article

Senior Dylan Yancey attempts to score points by making a move on his opponent in the class 3A 138 pound finals match. Yancey ended up finishing 2nd place at state. For more wrestling photos see the Red Ink Wrestling gallery: https://eatonredink.com/10386/uncategorized/wrestling-2019/

Michaela Hill, Sports Editor

Senior Ty Garnhart placed first making him the 3A State Champion in the 170 pound weight class at CHSAA State Championships on February 23. 

Three of Eaton’s own placed in the top three in 3A. Senior Jeremy Murano placed third, Seniors Toby Gavette and Dylan Yancey placed second at the Pepsi Center in Denver, Colorado. 

All four of the seniors scored huge points that went toward Eaton’s team points. Eaton fell short behind Alamosa by 36.5 points sending them home with as 3A’s state championship runner- up trophy.

As Gavette recapped his last season at Eaton High School, he said, “It was a hell of a ride. By far the best season I ever had. Even though I am disappointed due to the fact I came up short after all the sweat, blood, and tears put into my season, I know I left it all on the mat.” 

Head coach Tony Mustari wrapped up his fourth season as head coach and sixth season overall at Eaton High School and said, “My overall thought about the season is that we competed hard in every competition that we were in and in the end our drive and determination showed as we came home with the second place team in 3A”

The boys really focused on setting many different short and long-term goals throughout the season. Mustari said, “One of the goals that we set out for the team was to win the conference.” They achieved that by defeating Valley on the road. 

Their second short-term goal, but big goal was to come home with a regional title as a team and qualify many of their guys to the state tournament as they could. They ended up qualifying 10 guys and won the regional. Mustari also said, “Our last goal was to bring home another trophy from the state tournament. We knew that it wasn’t going to be easy but we came together as a team and rallied around one another to place second.” 

Yancey looked back on his fourth and final high school season and said, “The season was a lot better than I expected it to be. I did not end the season  how I wanted to. I didn’t perform how I wanted to and I could’ve changed a couple things and change that match. I was upset with the end result but it doesn’t define me as a person.” 

Garnhart summed up the season by leaving the program with advice for all underclassmen, “Never give up. The grind will hurt but there is nothing more satisfying than the feeling you feel while on the mat during the finals.”

The Reds sent 14 wrestlers to Regionals and walked out with a 3A Region 3 championship. Among those wrestlers were Alex Castaneda (22), Cael Jordan (21), Jackson Contreras (19), Judson Church(19), Logan Bean (20), and Tanner True (21).

For more wrestling photos click here

About the Writer
Michaela Hill, Sports Editor
Michaela Hill started her journalism journey at Platte Valley High School, when she transferred her skills to join the Eaton Red Ink staff in 2018. Michaela enjoys writing sports stories and creating live twitter feed updates throughout games to keep our followers involved in all the action. She spends most of her time attending sporting events to get all the details. After the event, you can be guaranteed a story covering the game. Michaela is the Sports Editor of the Eaton Red Ink and spends her time in the news room approving all of the staff sports coverage stories. She is a three sport athlete that competes in volleyball, basketball, and track. Once graduated, Michaela will be attending Chadron State College in Chadron, Nebraska to compete for their track and field team. You can usually find Michaela partnered side by side with Media Editor, Noelle Meagher, at any and all athletic events.