First spring band concert

Concert and Symphonic band take to the stage

Ashlen Livingston

Symphonic band performs “Unraveling” by Andrew Boysen Jr.

Eaton High School Concert and Symphonic band performed their first spring concert of this semester. Concert band was first on the stage and they performed a total of three songs which included “Cumberland Cross” by Carl Strommen, “Come Thou Font of Every Blessing” by Randall Standridge, and “Snake Charmer” by Randall Standridge. Brianna Lewis (22) was gifted a solo in the song “Snake Charmer” where she perfectly executed the theme of the song on her flute. Lewis said, “I had been gone for all of last semester so I only had about 3 months to practice”. Lewis did an amazing job during her solo and she was handpicked by band teacher Logan Doddridge. After an amazing performance from Concert band, a brief intermission was held, however, two lucky seniors, Itxel Nunez (22) and Abby Whitaker (22) were able to showcase their talent and perform their own solos during intermission. Nunez played “Serenade for solo clarinet” by Franz Shubert and Whitaker performed “Eruption of Sakurajima” by Jessica Muniz. Whitaker said, “It was a new experience for me, and I was very nervous but it went super well.‘. Whitaker played the marimba which is a percussion instrument with wooden bars, and she used four mallets at a time while playing. This technique of using four mallets is called “Steven’s Grip”, and Whitaker is the only band participant to learn this technique. After intermission, Symphonic band took to the stage where they performed “Circus Days” by Karl L. King, “Unraveling” by Andrew Boysen Jr., “Sleep” by Eric Whitacre, and “Dream Variants” by Roland Barrett. The Symphonic band is the first band from EHS to perform in the CBA band festival at a high school in Fort Collins. This band concert was very exciting to the members because many of their songs were highly advanced and difficult to learn, but overall the concert was a success.