THE PRESSURE IS (Always) ON

Back to Article
Back to Article

THE PRESSURE IS (Always) ON

Liliana Lara, Opinion Writer

The phrase “When are we ever gonna use this” is consistently heard down the halls, that a majority of the classes we sit through for an hour-and-a-half for four years–1056 hours a year, 4,224 hours in four–are just a waste of time for everyone involved.

It may be true that as high school students none of us have truly experienced what it is like to be an adult in an adult world. But since when did high school become the place to take college classes so in college you don’t have to?

When you enter high school freshman year, you’re told that these will be the best four years of your life, that the “world is your oyster,” that these are the years to enjoy before you get old and have to enter college and truly think about what you will be doing for the rest of their life.

But today, although we are told to enjoy the teenage life, thinking about the future and what classes need to be taken to get a leg up in college have become the real message. Students are told again, and again that the decisions they make now will affect how life plays out in college and far beyond.

The pressure is on to take as many college level classes as possible in order to reduce the inevitable annual college tuition–pressure on kids that’s largely aimed to reduce the pressure on a guardian’s wallet.

College classes are a great opportunity but there’s so much pressure to take them: pressure from adults, students themselves, and just the plain old- pressure to succeed.

and taking classes to see what passions you could possibly have, students are shoehorned into into believing they should already know what classes need to be taken and which ones shouldn’t be paid mind to be- cause those classes aren’t going to help you in your “maybe” career. Taking such classes, yes, may take a load off in the following years entering college but, in a sense, students suffer a loss of other passions when they are so blinded by their

own plan. Nobody bothered to tell them to create room for a another route.

Things are always going to change–plans change, people change–and picking something right now at our age is the scariest thing because what if it doesn’t work out and every- thing we did was for nothing?

Not trying to be cynical but let’s let kids be kids, let them experience and explore, and open all those “oysters” we are told the world holds.

Rather than experimenting and taking classes to see what passions you could possibly have, students are shoehorned into into believing they should already know what classes need to be taken and which ones shouldn’t be paid mind to be- cause those classes aren’t going to help you in your “maybe” career. Taking such classes, yes, may take a load off in the following years entering college but, in a sense, students suffer a loss of other passions when they are so blinded by their

About the Writer
Liliana Lara, Opinion Editor
Liliana Lara, the opinion editor, has been in newspaper since the beginning of her junior year in 2018-2019. Being in her first year in the newspaper, she enjoys the opportunity given to her express her opinion and inform people about what she thinks is going on in our world. Liliana is always ready to give her opinion to anyone that may or may not be listening. She is often writing stories she feels passionate about and has spent an extended amount of hours to find the truth behind her words. Many times she can be found rambling to fellow staff member Everet Slaughenhaupt about who knows what. On the other hand, her fellow staff member/best friend, Mikayla Schwartz is seen feeding her unrelated ideas about the current article she may or may not be working on. In her free time, Liliana enjoys running with her dog around town and spending time with her baby brother Vince.