Help with prom season expenses coming soon

Anya Womack, Staff Reporter

Prom is a big deal for upperclassmen in high school. It’s all about the makeup, hair, and dress. But sometimes it can be a costly issue. Luckily, the public library is helping girls get ready for the big day. On April 13, 2019, IBMC (Institute of Business and Medical Careers) college is teaming up with the library to offer help with makeup, up-dos, and haircuts for free this prom season. IBMC college is a cosmetology school in Greeley and they need as much hands on experience as possible. Tecla Valasek (20) says, “I’m super excited for this experience because I myself am not great at doing my own hair or make up, so I’m super stoked to look super beautiful without having to pay for it or have to worry about the cost of it.”
As Valasek explains that prom is a costly issue and not everyone can afford the princess/ prince treatment she makes a point, “everyone is very worried about prices so it makes the experience of prom a lot less fun.”
With the increasing prices of dresses for prom, students and parents have to budget more for other things such as doing their own hair, makeup, and nails. Asking how this started, Samantha Hudspeth, organizer of the IBMC prom hair committee, said, “When I was in high school, the library in my town did something like this and that’s where the idea came from.”
Hudspeth explains, “It’s not fair how much prom costs because everyone deserves this experience and it’s not fair how much people charge just for one night.”
Hudspeth, being passionate about getting everything set up to help students, she is just trying to help her community save an extra couple dollars. Kids have big plans with using this opportunity to their advantage and making the best out of potential savings.

About the Writer
Anya Womack, Staff Reporter
Anya Womack is junior at Eaton High School. She joined our staff spring of 2019. She loves to play basketball and write stories for the Red Ink. In her free time, she listens to music, plays her ukulele, or goes to work. She is a hard working teen that has come a long way from the many schools she has attended. She lived in Fort Collins for 15 years and has lived in Eaton for three. She finds Eaton a much more involved community than any other she's been in before. So far, Anya enjoys the freedom that newspaper offers her, and looks forward to working with the Red Ink.