Sophomore earns spot in The Battalion again

Talented student auditions for Drum and Bugle Corps second year in a row

Nicholas Sell (21) performs in Eaton High School’s 2018 show titled “Embrace”.

The Battalion Drum and Bugle Corps, located in Salt Lake City, Utah features one of Eaton High Schools very own students, Nicholas “Nick” Sell (21). He auditioned and performed in the band last summer. Sell marches trumpet in the DCI (Drum Corps International) and mellophone in Eaton’s marching band. He began playing trumpet as a sixth grader and began high school marching band as an eighth grader. This allowed him to audition for “the major league of marching music” after just his freshman year. Sell (21) said, “Confidence and effort are what they look for when auditioning.” Those two aspects are exactly what led him to succeed and push himself further in what he found to be his passion. Colton Sell (20), Nick’s brother said, “I’ve never seen him so passionate about something, so his work ethic was incredible.”

Over 8,000 students each year audition for DCI member corps. These students range in age from 14-21 years old. Sell, at age 15, felt he was ready to take on this challenge to become a better musician and marcher. “My favorite aspect was putting in the work and knowing what the end goal was.” Sell said. Colton commented on the passion of his brother. Colton said, “It didn’t seem like work, he enjoyed it too much to be work.” Denver has their own drum corp called the Blue Knights, regardless, Sell took a greater interest in the Battalion. Saturday, January 19 Sell earned his spot in the horn line for the second year in a row, after auditioning for the 2019 summer season of the Battalion. Logan Doddridge, Band director at Eaton High School said, “Nick came back from the Battalion really focused and as a really good marcher. His technique in marching spread throughout the band. He has become such a good role model which has led him to be more confident.” Nick said he is excited to grow in his musicianship and leadership skills as he continues his passion in the marching arts.