Teachers wear “Red for Ed”

Back to Article
Back to Article

Teachers wear “Red for Ed”

Teachers gathered at the flag pole dressed in red, walking into the building together shortly after.

Brenda Macias, Staff reporter

In a display of solidarity, EHS teachers stood unified in red on April 26 to protest Colorado’s current education system. Members of the EHS staff gathered around the flagpole at 7:25 a.m. and walked into the building together, wearing red to support the “Red for Ed” movement that has swept across the nation and the state of Colorado.

Five teachers from each school in the RE-2 district will be taking a personal day to rally at the state capitol today to show support for Initiative 93, a bill drafted by state superintendents that would fairly restructure education spending and provide the necessary funds for Special Ed., Gifted and Talented programs, and early childhood education. The current proposal asks for $222 more per pupil and 3.6% increased costs to districts and employees. Also %30 million for rural schools and $35 million for school safety. Initiative 93 will raise about 1.6 billion in additional support for public schools.

If passed, the bill will double taxes. The Eaton School district chose to send five teacher representatives from each school to protest on Friday rather than shutting down the district in order to remain in good standing with the community.

Even though Colorado has the fastest-growing economy in the nation, the state still spends $2,162 thousand less than the national average in per-pupil funding, $4000 less than Nebraska and $8000 less than Wyoming. Throughout the state, about half of the districts have switched to four-day weeks to offset the cost of transportation. Colorado ranks in the bottom five out of every state for teacher salaries. A bill recently proposed in the legislature would also make cuts to the state employee retirement fund.

Despite these funding stumbling blocks, Eaton still ranks above average for academics at all grade levels in the state of Colorado.