Eaton High School suffers another devastating loss

Student struck and killed at train intersection Tuesday night

Just two weeks short of one year, another Eaton High School student has been struck and killed by a train at the railroad crossing on 5th Street east of Highway 85. As Eaton students prepare to mourn the anniversary of Dallas Duran’s tragic death on February 22, 2017, a second student has lost her life at the same intersection. Kennedi Ingram was a senior at EHS, a member of the volleyball and track teams, a bright student, and a beloved friend. 

A message from Principal Jay Tapia to the Eaton Community reads:

It is with a heavy heart that I have to tell you Eaton High School has lost a member of our school family. Senior Kennedi Ingram was involved in a fatal car-train accident last night, Feb. 6.
Our hearts go out to the family of our student. I cannot begin to tell you how much we are saddened by the news. Our EHS family will be here for each other throughout the week, as well as counseling staff, members of our ministerial alliance and North Range Behavioral Health. These resources will be here to help student, staff and parents as long as we need. I encourage you to reach out for comfort and support during this very difficult time.
As a staff we are here to help and assist you as we heal.
With all of our love,
Jay Tapia and the Eaton HS staff

As students met in their advising classes to grieve and support one another, Principal Tapia made the following announcement:

Students,
I cannot begin to understand what you are feeling right now as you begin to process the news of Kennedi. She was an outstanding young lady and an even better friend and person.
We always talk about family here at EHS. Today that will be extremely important as we will need to lean on each other for support. Today our focus will be on honoring Kennedi as we begin to try to heal. That process will be different for every one of us. We have support in our building, from our district, EMS from WSD, our community’s ministerial alliance and NRBH to help us all.
Please make sure to check up on each other, take care of each other and make sure no one is alone today. This includes everyone, students, teachers and parents.
We love you all!

A GoFundMe page has been set up for Kennedi’s memorial fund. Click here to visit the page. A former Eaton student has also started a petition to install safety arms at the railroad crossing on 5th Street. Click here to see the petition.