Students to explore careers

Thinking about your future? Don’t ditch next Wednesday

Students+mill+around+the+main+gym+after+signing+up+for+ICAP+Day+field+trips.+

Morgan Koeltzow

Students mill around the main gym after signing up for ICAP Day field trips.

Thinking about your future? Don’t ditch this coming Wednesday

Over 45 representatives from various companies will speak to students about their potential career on ICAP (Individual Career and Development Plan) Day Wednesday, Sept. 20. In the morning, students will interact with professionals in various careers and discuss with their advisors potential career paths. Teachers will then chaperone field trips in the afternoon to industry tours in the surrounding community. High schoolers signed up for a field trip demonstration of their choice which relates to their future career interests. These tours range from the Eaton Library to Countryside Large Animal Clinic.

Heidi Lanning of the Career and Technical Education department said that the intent is to expose students to the different careers within the 24 different company tours provided. “This is important for students to meet with industry professionals to learn about careers that they may not know about,” Lanning said. “It is helpful for students to see how many different careers there are within the businesses and how they work together.”

Students will shadow a professional of their chosen industry to get a feel for what the career entails to better plan for their future. Normally, College in Colorado would assist in the student’s plan of study; however, a program called Virtual Job Shadow will take its place. The department also plans on continuing to host a biennial ICAP Day.