Richling and Haw get into honor band

Isaiah Cordova

By Braedy Sturdevant

Adam Richling (18) and Stephen Haw (18) made the Combined League Jazz Band, which is normally dominated by seniors.Sophomore year  is often seen as the in-between for high schoolers. Very few of them succeed to the extent that Adam Richling (18) and Stephen Haw (18) have in band. “They really stepped up this year, and it shows,” Logan Dodridge, the band teacher, said when asked about the young stars. The Combined League Jazz Band is usually dominated by seniors from all over northern Colorado, and it is a huge deal to make it as a sophomore. Both musicians had to submit multiple audition pieces before they would even be considered for the band. Any student east of the Continental Divide and north of I-70 is allowed to try out for the band. This includes small schools like Briggsdale all the way up to large schools such as Cherry Creek.

Rebecca Phillips, who is the director of the band at Colorado State University, will be conducting the band this year, and it is a huge honor considering it gives the high school students an opportunity to perform in front of a college conductor. The musicians are considering band after high school, and “They both should, this is just the beginning for them,” Dodridge said.

Adam, who has been playing the trumpet since the 6th grade would love to be in a college marching band, but outside of that he doesn’t want to pursue music as a career. Just like anything else, practice makes perfect, and Adam practices a lot. “I usually practice about 10 hours a week,” said Richling. Haw has been playing the bass ever since he was little. His musical ambitions include starting a band, and possibly making a career out of music. Stephen said, “I really enjoy music, and I want to be involved in it for as long as I can.”  The two sophomores both touched on how music is their way to open up doors. “Im super excited to be a part of this concert,” said Adam, “and the idea of working with a college conductor is great.” The concert is November 16 at Frederick High School.