Facilities Bond vital for district development

Gabriel+Holguin

Gabriel Holguin

Following last year’s unsuccessful bond, there arises new hope for the Eaton School District in the 2019 election. The 2018 RE-2 district facilities bond fell through in the election, having proposed expansion and renovation of school buildings within the district.

When it came time for the election, it failed due to the community’s strong inclination towards a new high school. Contrary to what the community and student body may believe, the Red Ink staff says; it’s time for a new school. 

Students enrolled in the Eaton School District deserve an environment where they can fully function, move, and learn. 

Members of the Red Ink Staff  support the upcoming 2019 ballot item which will help the ever-expanding high school to move from a 92-year-old building to a state-of-the-art facility.

Features include but are not limited to: increased security measures, parking, athletic and music facilities, air conditioning, larger hallways, and a more technologically advanced education program. 

Passage of this bond will ensure future students can reach their full potential. The 2019 bond’s budget is $128.5 million while last year’s was $75 million. 

The 2019 bond will directly effect students currently enrolled in the high school.

It is much harder for a student to receive individual help in a class of 30-40 students in a classroom originally built for 20. Eaton High School was built in 1928 and our facilities are not suitable for the amount of students it holds. Students in band, choir, and theatre perform in an inadequate space. We need competitive weight rooms, STEM labs, and media rooms. There aren’t enough science rooms or equipment to account for all students.

Eaton sudents have earned this new facility. Their academic success rivals their atheletic success.

If this bond passes in November, the current freshman will be the first to graduate from a new high school building, making the current sophomores the last to graduate from the historic old Eaton High. 

If this bond fails, Superintendent Bridgette Muse says the district will continue to try for new improvements and district needs.  Despite the increase in taxes, building will never get less expensive.

Muse said that construction prices increase 5% every year we delay it.

The plan will leave room for expansion, not just the students it currently holds. The new building would be built for 800 students with added classrooms in each department. 

This expansion plan will help as our community continues to grow, helping it to become and to stay one of the most competitive high schools in Northern Colorado. As a staff, we support the 2019 RE-2 facilities bond.