Bond fails, RE-2 plans on hold

Several tax increases on the ballot were shot down by voters, including measures for education.

Sydney Booth, Editor-in-chief

Education funding shot down by voters in midterm elections

In a historic midterm election, local and statewide Colorado voters shut down two measures that would have increased education funding at the expense of taxpayers. The 2018 midterm ballot contained Initiative 4a and Amendment 73 (A73), both of which failed when election results were reported on November 6. Overall, Coloradans voted blue on representatives but shut down every tax increase on the ballot. According to the Weld County Election Summary Report, the bond initiative failed 56 percent to 43 percent with 5,351 ballots counted.

Initiative 4a was a bond for $75 million that would have provided funding for the Eaton School District to construct new facilities and renovate existing buildings. 4a was not a statewide issue; oA73 was the result of a citizen’s ballot initiative known as Great Schools, Thriving Communities; A73 was a constitutional amendment that was voted on by voters throughout the state. If it had passed, Eaton would have seen an additional $3.1 million in the operating budget each year.

Bond backlash

The Eaton School District hired architects, contractors, took soil samples, and conducted traffic studies in preparation to break ground on improvements that could have been financed by the 4a. However, both “Yes to 4A” and “No on 4A” campaign signs could be observed leading up to the election all throughout town, and it is clear now that the majority was against the measure.

Eaton Superintendent Brigette Muse said that the next step for the district is to have the school board convene in order to dissect why the bond did not pass. Muse believes the campaign committee did all they could to spread awareness across different mediums, including social media and print media. A survey will be employed in order to evaluate why the bond did not pass.

According a Facebook page entitled “Eaton 4A Vote No,” many Eaton citizens are against the proposed master plan because it did not incorporate a new high school, which they believe is the best long term solution to overcrowding.

A survey will be employed to determine the best course of action for the district, according to Muse. The school board will come together to asses the next steps, including modifications to the plan. The next Board of Education meeting will be held at the district office at 6:30 p.m. on December 10.

About the Writer
Sydney Booth, Editor-in-chief

Sydney Booth has served as editor-in-chief of the Red Ink since the beginning of her junior year in the 2017-2018 school year. Sydney enjoys working in...