Eaton’s second symphonic band meets new challenges

Symphonic band gets busy rehearsing as the first wind ensemble of EHS.

Nina+Ullmann+%2822%29%2C+Sydney+Carlson+%2821%29%2C+Michael+Bellomy+%2821%29%2C+Clara+Cordova+%2820%29+play+their+instruments+during+rehearsal.+

Kaitlyn Walsh

Nina Ullmann (22), Sydney Carlson (21), Michael Bellomy (21), Clara Cordova (20) play their instruments during rehearsal.

Ashlyn Crowder (22), Cade Bean (20), Sydney Carlson (21), Bryce Smith (22), Brianna Everhart (20), and Jaryn Green (21) during rehearsal.

The newly reorganized symphonic band took the first breath of the semester on May 19. The symphonic band this year was strategically arranged to consist of 27 players and at most five players on a part. The numbers are smaller this year in order for the band to be considered a wind ensemble. According to The University of Tennessee’s interim band director Jeffery Renshaw, “A wind ensemble is a pool of players ranging from as small as a trio to as large as the available resources.” Eaton’s wind ensemble consists of brass, percussion, flutes, clarinets, and saxophones. 

All members of the symphonic band this fall semester went through an audition last May. The audition consisted of a major and minor scale along with an excerpt specific to each instrument. The audition was judged by band director Logan Doddridge, assistant band director Nathan Wilkinson, choir director Christina Contreras, and Eaton Elementary School music teacher Judy Olson. The judges sat in on the live audition and took notes on each student who auditioned. After three days of auditions, Eaton’s first wind ensemble was created with the most promising students who displayed their talents.

Band director Logan Doddridge listening to the ensemble warm up.

Two of the elite players in the ensemble this year are Lexi Nigro (20) and Anna Augustine (20). They were selected after an audition last fall for Colorado All State Honor Band. Only the most talented students are selected for this honor band. Nigro and Augustine are both first chair players of the symphonic band this year.

All members have a new role and challenge. Feliz Martinez (22), a trumpet player said, “In my section, with only two of us, I think we will struggle with getting the fullness that we need for a symphonic band.” All members will be very vulnerable within a piece as they are most likely the only person playing at the time. 

Monique Anchondo (20), the saxophone section first chair said, “Symphonic is known for having a good sense of rhythm and we obviously know how to read the notes on the paper, but most of us need to find our own sound and bring out our individuality together as a band. We make it work in the end, but I would say our biggest challenge individuality, our own sound, and emotions that we bring into the music we play.” Everyone contributes to the ensemble in a unique way, but they all have to make sure they can play their part well and contribute to the band in a positive manner. 

Itxel Nunez (22), a clarinet player said, “I like the fact that it makes you a better player because you are the only one who is in that specific part. It makes you feel more important to the band.” Despite the challenge of being smaller in numbers, many benefits come along with the new size. Each member of the ensemble is musically challenged which in turn makes them feel more power and responsibility. With more responsibility, each player will need to be on top of their game. Nunez said, “I think sound is going to be a part of the challenges. Practicing and being the best possible player will also be part of it.”

Kaitlyn Walsh

This year, the symphonic band will perform six times. The first viewing opportunity for the community and student body will be on Wednesday, October 16 during the fall band concert. A variety of musical genres will be on the program for the symphonic band. 

Along with Anchondo, Augustine, Martinez, Nigro, and Nunez, Cade Bean (20), Michael Bellomy (21), Taylor Bradshaw (22), Jonathan Brantner (21), Katelyn Brownlee (20), Sydney Carlson (21), Klara Cordova (20), Ashlyn Crowder (22), Brianna Everhart (20), Gabriel Gerkin (21), Jaryn Green (21), Joelle Green (20), Erik Montague (22), Geoffrey Powell (20), Charlotte Reynolds (22), Ian Richling (21), Nicholas Sell (21), Bryce Smith (22), Nina Ullmann (22), Kaitlyn Walsh (22), Lyndsay Walsh (22), and Abigail Whitaker (22) make up the 2019 fall semester symphonic band.