Une nuit à Paris: Prom 2019

Back to Article
Back to Article

Une nuit à Paris: Prom 2019

Janae Jarnagin, Staff Reporter

Filled with flowers, lights, and many eiffel towers 2019’s prom was one to remember. As students flooded in the front door of the Eaton Rec Center, many had no idea what to expect. After all, how could a magical dance occur in the same place where students were employed, worked out, and attended community meetings. When entering the prom many students were rendered breathless by the beautiful decorations done by the prom planning committee. Junior advisors and parent volunteers, built an archway of roses, set up a DJ booth, and featured many eiffel towers as centerpieces and statues. Halfway through the dance the music was stopped to crown 2019’s prom queen and king. Candidates for prom king entered escorting one of the female candidates. Jimmy Beamon escorted Ryanne Ehlers, CJ Blaskowski escorted Gabby Gilleland, Henry Fritzler escorted Lainee Hauer, Danny Gallegos escorted Allie Hobbs, Toby Gavette escorted Michaela Ironcloud,and Jared Ure escorted both Grace Walker and Coco Sviatko. After all the candidates had entered the room the results were announced.

Senior Henry Fritzler was announced first as Prom King. Fritzler remarked on his reaction to winning, saying I was really surprised to say the least. I was very excited and some friends were there getting pretty pumped up.” Following the crowning of Fritzler, Coco Sviatko was crowned Prom Queen. Sviatko thoroughly enjoyed the prom, saying “I honestly thought I wasn’t going to win, but it was really cool, and It makes me feel good that people voted for me and like me. I loved when they played Party in the USA, everyone knew the words and was singing along!”

The dance continued for another hour after the crowning. Featuring songs such as the Baby Shark Remix, Africa by Toto, Old Town Road, Don’t Stop Believing Remix, and finishing with Bohemian Rhapsody, Prom was a mix of classic and new music that pleased the dancing audience.

After the finish of prom students quickly changed clothes and flocked to the high school for After Prom. Continuing the theme of a night in Paris, after prom featured french bicycles, coffee stands, and of course, eiffel towers. Students filled the next three hours with a multitude of activities. Some scurried to the gym to climb on the inflatable slides, obstacle courses, and a climbing wall. Many students played their odds at the poker tables while others showed their creative skills painting in the art room. Assorted games were scattered around the school for students to challenge themselves, such as blindfolded musical chairs, the headphone game, corn hole, and the dating game. For those who had danced up an appetite pizza and other snacks were available in exchange for tickets won during played games. Many students simply sat around the makeshift cafe set up in the cafeteria. And to document the night a self ran photo booth was set up, where students could use a multitude of props including Thor’s Hammer, light up sunglasses, and food themed hats. At the end of the night students crowded in the gym waiting to hear the winners of larger prizes, including fan favorites a TV and airpods. Students wore tired, but happy smiles as they left the school at 3 AM toting their donated money, prizes, and leftover food and drinks.

About the Writer
Janae Jarnagin, Staff Reporter
Janae Jarnagin is excited to be apart of the Eaton Red Ink staff. She has only recently joined the newspaper, writing her first story in the 2019 spring semester. Janae writes stories on Eaton Basketball teams and whatever else sparks her interest. She is happy to add newspaper to her list of extracurriculars. Janae also participates in Student Council, Knowledge Bowl, Poms Team, and countless others. If you want to find Janae she will probably be the loudest person in the room because she enjoys adding an overdramatic flair to everything she does. If you hear someone who is snorting aggressively while they're laughing you'll have found Janae. Janae would like to thank Editor-In-Chief Sydney Booth for encouraging her to join Eaton Red Ink and changing her life as a dedicated friend.