Snow day factors and concerns

Snow days have been the constant plea of students for years. Flushing ice down the toilet and sleeping with a spoon under one’s pillow are common superstitions to bring a day off of school. Despite these efforts, Eaton School District has not had a snow day in three years. The district has had “cold delays” in the last two years but nothing significant enough for a full day off of school. Concerning pleasing parents and students of all ages, Kim Carey, an Eaton High School secretary, says, “You can’t make everybody happy, but snow days are like an unexpected gift.”

Safety is the most crucial factor in determining a snow day for the district. Bridgette Muse, Eaton School District Superintendent, said, “When considering a snow day we evaluate our ability to travel to and from school safely. This includes evaluating current and future road conditions. Visibility, ice, and temperature can all be factors.  I also consult with other local school districts to see how conditions are outside our district and what they plan to do.”

According to Muse, the district always has concerns when the weather is terrible. The district maintenance staff is asked to clear snow and inform any kids dropped off that school is canceled. In the case of a delayed start, all staff is expected to report to their buildings as soon as possible. If roads are expected to clear and the weather is predicted to improve, a delayed start will be used. Safety is the number one priority of the district when determining a snow day.

Snow days are rejoiced amongst students of Eaton High School. Payton Devlin (20) recognizes the school sets aside a few days each year for canceled days saying, “Why do we have them if we don’t even use them? It is risking too much for one day of school.”  Although snow days are celebrated across the nation, Eaton High School students express worry about safety when a snow day is not called.