RYLA in the Rockies

Eaton students seize leadership opportunity

Noelle Meagher

Conferees raise arms in victory after tackling a team building hike at the YMCA of the Rockies. Climbers scaled the mountain wearing symbolic orange bandanas on their wrists.

Eaton High School has sent over fifty of their students to this “life-changing experience.” Rocky Mountain Ryla has been hosting young leaders to the YMCA for many years, and RYLA is a five day leadership camp hosted by Rotarians of the districts from Northern Colorado, Wyoming, and Western Nebraska. A Rotarian is a member of Rotary International, a club dedicated to bringing together humanitarian services to the community. Nina Lewis has helped kids connect to the Ryla experience for many years.

Rotarians work together to bring peace and service around the world. Most high school students, are recommended through their school counselors, but any high school sophomore or junior can send in application to compete for an interview with the potential Rotary club that would sponsor their trip. Although no specific requirements are needed to apply, most students who apply for this conference are generally outstanding leaders in their community, or are looking to excel their leadership skills.

Noelle Meagher
Ryla offers two weeks out of the summer to attend a camp that is dedicated to changing the young leaders of America.
According to the Rocky Mountain Ryla executive board, the Rotarians who send individuals to Ryla strive to, “encourage and assist youth leaders and potential leaders in methods of responsible and effective leadership by providing them with a training experience,” They also push, “To encourage continued and stronger leadership of youth by youth,” as well as, “To publicly recognize the outstanding qualities of many young people who are rendering service to their schools and communities as leaders.” Many students that attend Ryla have learned that leadership must be learned, it simply cannot just be taught.

Though the lessons taught in Ryla are to be kept secret, students develop close relationships that often last through life. This conference brings twelve strangers from schools far and wide together for five days with little time to spend online. Often many students from the same school will attend the conference together, but will not see each other after the first day. The junior and senior counselors that guide teams through this conference focus on building a family in what short week they have together. “Going into this camp the only thing conferees know of is the Ryla magic. Leaving the camp, conferees have unbreakable bonds, life changing lessons, and incredible leadership skills,” said Brianna Everhart, “Ryla to outsiders is just another leadership camp, but what they don’t understand is it truely paves a great road for our future.”

Eaton High School has proudly sent many students to Ryla. If interested in applying to Ryla 2019, talk to some of Eaton’s Ryla Alumni; Evan Messmer, Dalton Logan, Noelle Meagher, Matea Floryance, Andrea Pennington (others not listed). Talk to your counselor for assistance in applying.