Eaton Elearning from the Perspective of a Mother and SPED Para

Abby Schreiner

Tiffany Schreiner wears her son’s head phones in order to give her students her undivided attention.

Over the past two months, online learning has become a crucial necessity to keeping on track during the COVID-19 pandemic. However, it is in no way easy for anyone involved. Students are forced into completely different learning situations, parents are forced to be teachers, and teachers are forced to teach their curriculum in a completely unorthodox manner. 

Tiffany Schreiner has experienced such difficulty from many different aspects due to being a mother of four and Centerbased Para for the Eaton School District. Schreiner said, “I teach my littles (ages seven and eight) from 8-11 a.m. and am on Zoom with my students (two sophmores in highschool) for a SOLID 4 hours (11a.m.-3 p.m).” 

As Schreiner has navigated these past couple months, she says has learned much ranging from accessibility to gratitude. Schreiner said, “This pandemic has shown me that all people do not have the same learning opportunities. Every educator knows this, but seeing it has really changed how I teach and broadened my views as an educator.”

Schreiner has interacted with a wide range of teachers from EES, EMS, and EHS, allowing her to observe the many different teaching styles teachers have approached all through the online learning semester. Because of this, she has been able to recognize a few teachers that have truly excelled. These teachers include Aleena Griffin (Spanish teacher at Eaton High School), Andrew Jorgenson (History teacher at Eaton High School), Kaelie Sandstrom (first grade teacher at Eaton Elementary), and Jen Delich (second grade teacher at Eaton Elementary). Schreiner said, “Out of the few teachers I have worked with, these four have really stood out.”

Their teaching styles were all very similar in the fact that they are consistent, quick to answer questions, and interact with their students even from afar. It is teachers like these that have made Schreiner and many others grateful to work in the Eaton School District. They have excelled in wading through such uncharted territories. 

While teachers like these have made online learning seem easy, it is anything but that. Schriener said, “It was extremely overwhelming. One-on-one is hard because you have to be attentive 100 percent of the time. However, adding a whole classroom to the mix is just plain overwhelming.” Schreiner put emphasis on the fact that it is okay to cry at times, for she knows the struggle. There are days where she cries after getting off of Zoom due to the many stressful aspects of online learning. 

More than ever it is important for educators, parents, and students to stay patient and positive. Each and every person within any school district understands that these are not ideal times; however that is no excuse to give up. 

Schreiner said, “Eaton is strong, capable, and passionate! Never forget it!”

If this pandemic leaks into the next school year, Schreiner has provided several suggestions to make online learning as smooth as possible.

Mother and Educator’s Propositions for the following school year:

• Universal  assignment date release
  • Pre-recorded explanatory videos at beginning of week, while still being open to a Zoom meeting once a week
  • Setting clear expectations and giving clear instructions. 
  • Quick response time within your teaching window
  • Being understanding of technical difficulties especially for the higher grades
  • Using fun and creative approaches for teaching your material