Take a moment to focus on all that is good in the world we live in today

Abby Schreiner

Four siblings stand united against COVID-19

Over the past couple months, everyones’ lives have revolved around fear of COVID-19 and fear of the unknown. The news is full of increasing death rates and out of control economic collapse. I am encouraging you to take a break from all of the negative and focus on the positive! 

As America continues to collapse under pressure from this horrible virus, Americans, whether that be the sick or those affected by the virus, have risen up. Over the past week, the support shown by friends and strangers has overwhelmed many with encouragement. Abigail Fetzer (22), a student at Eaton High School, said, “It’s always good to put a smile on people’s faces.”

An anonymous chalk artist in New Orleans has been leaving bright and uplifting messages with chalk all over the employee parking lot of a New Orleans hospital. The New Orleans’ Ochsner Medical Center has been hit harder than most with an overwhelming number of cases, so seeing these encouraging notes every morning has lifted their spirits and encouraged them to continue on. 

Additionally, a grandfather in Michigan walked miles to simply look at his granddaughter through the glass door. He knew that both himself and his granddaughter were at risk if they were to get too close to one another, but he didn’t care. He just wanted to see his grandchild for the first time since the outbreak occurred. Because of these few minutes of simply being near his granddaughter, this man was completely content. 

One of Florida’s very own firefighters was hospitalized with the corona virus and forced into quarantine. However, what came next, he didn’t even expect. The Miami-Dade Fire Department dispatched a group of fellow firefighters and a turntable ladder truck, so that the firefighter wouldn’t have to feel alone. By expanding the ladder to his floor and making encouraging signs to lift his spirits, these men became even larger heros than they already were.

In Madison, South Dakota,  math teacher Chris Waba, went to one of his student’s homes in order to answer a question she had previously asked over email. He came prepared with a whiteboard and marker and for 10 minutes, he simply sat outside her front door and taught her about the concept she was confused about. Because Waba knew his student, he felt the need to teach her in person.

Coaches Bar and Grill in Columbus, Ohio received a $2,500 tip from concerned customer Mike Dewine. He asked that it be split between “Tara, Nicky, Jim, Liz, and Arron”, because they would be greatly impacted by the bar shutting down. DeWine didn’t ask for any gratitude or attention, in fact he left directly after leaving the tip. Everyone there was more than grateful for this man’s kindness.

Even in the biggest of cities, measures of kindness can be seen. New York City has taken the extra mile to provide childcare for healthcare providers and other essential workers. Each child is provided a desk to do their work properly distanced from everyone else, and are provided three meals a day. This has lifted a weight off of all the “essential worker” families. 

Even in our own small corner of the world, generosity and love is shown by a simple birthday parade for a little boy’s birthday. Mason, the son of Tiffany and Patrick Schreiner, has Autism and counts down the days to every big event in his life including his birthday. However, due to COVID-19, he was unable to have his much anticipated birthday party. Mrs. Schreiner posted on Facebook their struggle to grasp why he couldn’t have his birthday. Little did she know that Mason’s many supporters would gather (while social distancing of course) and threw Mason a birthday parade. (For more details visit the Eaton Red Ink Facebook page)

To top it all off Faith Orosco (22), Essence Orosco (21), Lily Cruz (Frontier Elementary School), Olivia Cruz (Frontier Elementary School), Reyna Cruz age three, and Christina SoRell(Frontier High School),have found their own way to communicate with each other and raise the spirits of Eaton residents. Due to the quarantine the Orosco sisters and Christina haven’t been able to see each other. Faith Orosco said, “My neighbors across the street are like a second family to me and they have a daughter (Christina) a year older than me and my sister. Christina and I hate the fact that we can’t see each other anymore, so Christina’s mom, Randi, brought us over some chalk. We started this fun little game called “chalk wars” to see who could have the better drawings.” These “chalk wars” have produced some extraordinary chalk art that has raised the spirits of the entire surrounding area. 

So many people have taken this virus head on and have risen to this great challenge, but they are masked by a hard to watch death rate chart. The key to staying positive through all of this is focusing on the uplifting support that this world has to offer. Take a deep breath and keep your high spirits with me.