Going Viral…Literally

When principal Jay Tapia announced on Friday the 13th an early beginning to Spring Break, it may have seemed like a happy holiday for students. But as news about the COVID-19 virus continues to worsen, and "social distancing" becomes the new norm, students begin to understand exactly what it means to go viral.

March 17, 2020

Online school

Eaton High School has extended Spring Break by a week in order to prevent the spread of the Coronavirus. On March 13, most schools including universities throughout Colorado took precautionary measures to ensure the safety of staff and students. The extension of March 16-20 will employ the extra five snow days the district has built into the schedule. The next two weeks of break will not have any consequences but if the COVID-19 virus is not under control by the end of Spring Break, on March 30, teachers and administrators will have to make alternate plans on educating the students. This will most likely be some kind of online education or an extension to the school year to fulfill the number of student and contact hours required by the CDE. Students must be prepared for online and constantly read their emails to keep up-to-date.

Pullquote Photo

I hope my grandma doesn’t get it.

— Walker Copeland (23)

National sports

Major League Baseball, Baseball, Hockey, and Soccer as well as college basketball and many more have taken precautionary steps to help prevent spreading. NBA, NHL, and MLS have suspended the season until further notice as athletes contract the virus. NCAA has canceled the March Madness Tournament completely, causing an uproar throughout the nation. MLB has been postponed its season by at least two weeks. News national sports are attempting to prevent fans and players from succumbing to the sickness.

Pullquote Photo

Is it real or is the government trying to strike fear in the nations?

— Brianna Lewis (22)

CHSSA activities

Colorado High School Athletic Association has announced that all spring sports and activities will be suspended until April 6 to prevent further spread. The basketball state competition held on March 12-15 only allowed four fans per player, and then shut everything down before the Final Four. Other than that essential personnel only. Track, baseball, tennis, boys swimming, and winter guard will be postponed until the three weeks are over. This means the athletes will not have practice or games until the suspension is over.

Pullquote Photo

It is not as bad as the media makes it out to be

— Jared McCormack

Local cases

As of March 16, 135 cases of COVID-19 were reported in the state, with the first death on March 13 in El Paso County. Weld County currently has five cases with no deaths. With one case in neighboring Larimer County.

Pullquote Photo

Guys please, I actually need toilet paper.

— Langdon Bean (22)

What’s next?

Currently, there is no way of predicting what’s next, but the community must do its part to prevent spread by self-quarantine, avoiding groups larger than 10, and washing hand frequently. President Trump told reportsMonday, March 16 that it may August before we see containment of the virus. Dr. Burke said, “It will be the Millennials who shut down this virus.”