Eaton school district honors our Veterans

Tears, laughs, and singing filled the gym of Galeton Elementary honoring the men and women who serve their country.

Red, white, and blue colors glistened in the cool fall air as the country’s flag was raised by a Galeton Elementary student with accompaniment from The National Anthem floating through the air to honor the community’s active military and veterans. 

Eaton graduate, Austin Wahlert, performed his song “A Thin Blue Line” during the ceremony, and when he asked his daughter, Reagan, to sing and play her guitar as well, the veterans beamed with happiness as they smiled. 

Joined by country singer Austin Wahlert was a presentation from Wreaths Across America on Tuesday, November 12. The EHS symphonic band and troubadours also joined the ceremony. “Forgotten Heroes” by Jeremy Bell was played by the symphonic band, and the troubadours sang “America” during the assembly. The veterans and parents who attended applauded for these performers, but it was the young students engaged the audience on a deeper level because of their smiling faces and passion. A clarinet player, Itxel Nunez said, “I loved seeing how even the little kids were involved and had a place in their heart for the veterans.” 

Each class had been participating in penny wars to raise money for Wreaths Across America. Wreaths Across America is an organization that raises money to put wreaths on every veteran grave across the world. The students raised a grand total of $902.60. The wreath-placing ceremony will take place at the Eaton Cemetery on Saturday, December 14 at 10 am. 

Other festivities such as artwork, literature, videos, and speeches from Eaton veterans and active military took place within the district throughout the day. Eaton Elementary was joined by Girl Scout Troop 586, Boy Scout and Cub Scout Troop 41. The troops walked in and placed the flags during the assembly. Benjamin Elementary and Eaton Middle School listened to active military and veterans and their stories. 

The Eaton veterans were thanked by the smiling faces of young students as they shook hands with the guests. The school district and community honored the men and women who served their country through the students.