The Timeless Maio

Lighting soap on fire, blowing things up, and mixing chemicals are frequent occurrences that Maio is renowned for throughout EHS. Although he will be missed, we know it is time for Maio to begin the next chapter of his life. With 30 years under his belt, the experience of meeting thousands of students, Maio wraps up his career and swings into retirement.

As the school year comes to a close, Eaton High School will say farewell to the beloved Gino  Maio. After 27 years teaching science at EHS, Maio decided it is time to hang up the hat. Teaching for 30 years total, Maio spent his first two years at the Trinidad Junior College and one year at Gateway, located in Aurora, Colorado.

Out of high school, Maio said he never intended to become a teacher, yet it was always in the back of his mind in college. Initially, he wanted to do something in chemistry, so he studied biochemistry at Colorado State University. After graduating from college with a degree in biochemistry, he then decided he wanted to become a teacher, and stayed in college for another year. Over time, Maio earned a Master’s Degree in

Education and Structural Leadership. Maio’s parents were teachers, his mom teaching elementary school and his dad teaching in college, so “It was always kind of in my blood,” he said.

With his extra time, Maio will be spending a large portion of his time with his two granddaughters. “I’ll be doing a few small experiments with my grandkids,” joked Maio. Also, he will be working with student teachers at Colorado State University. Along with volunteering, Maio said will enjoy playing golf, hopefully in Augusta, Georgia, the location of the Masters Tournament.

Maio will continue to coach the Boys Golf Team, but his role as NHS advisor will be passed to a colleague. Even though Maio was had several responsibilities years back, he said he has passed on his responsibilities as the years dwindled. Christina Contreras took FCA, Aleena Griffin took the University

1980

of Northern Colorado partnership, and Molly Maguire will be filling the shoes of the science department head.

As he leaves this chapter of his life behind, Maio said, “I’ll miss the kids the most; that’s what I’ve always liked.” His memories are in abundance as Maio moves forward, but the great ones will stay with him forever. “All the students have changed over the years, but they are pretty much the same. High school kids are high school kids, and I’ve always enjoyed the ones here at Eaton. That’s why I’ve never left,” Maio said.

Throughout the years, Maio has taught Biology, Earth Science, and Algebra I. “I never wanted to teach just general science; I wanted to be the main chemistry person,” Maio said.

His colleagues throughout the years will greatly miss him, although he may come around during golf season for a visit. Amy Irwin,the FACS teacher, said, “I will miss Mr. Maio’s Italian nose that smells the cooking. Then, he will try to predict the recipe.” Chris Love has always admired Maio’s relationships with the kids, and the level of wisdom Maio brings to the table. “Whenever a teacher that has a legacy like him, who has been in the school and teaching game for so long, there are things that you can’t replace. He has 30 years of knowledge about the makings of how this school became what it is today,” Love said.

Lori Selby will miss Maio’s funny and conservative sense of humor. “I appreciate his honesty and sincerity,” said Selby. One of her best memories of Maio will be when “a 2011 graduate, who would make announcements each morning, had Maio’s voice down to a tee.” Maguire, who has worked with Maio for years, said she will miss joking about a suitcase full of money with Maio. “I appreciate how many times he goes to bat for our department to make sure we have the resources that we need, to ensure our class sizes aren’t so big; he has our back.”

When Maguire almost blew the school up her second year at Eaton, Maio ensured her she had nothing to worry about because Maio also made a mistake his first year at the school. After dropping a mason jar full of Mercury, Maio forced the administration to close the school down for a few days to ensure proper protocol for cleanup.

Stephanie Kirchhoff, Maio’s current student teacher, has treasured her experience in Maio’s classroom. She said, “He’s so knowledgeable; it’s insane. I’ve learned how to have relationships with the kids from him. I appreciate that he has taken the time to teach me the ropes.”

The students of EHS will miss his personality, his attitude. Evan Messmer (20) said, “I appreciate his eagerness to try new things and talk to students to help them figure out what they need most.” Emily Anderson (19) said, “He makes science somewhat tolerable. I’m not a science fan, but I don’t mind coming here because he makes it fun and interesting. He is one of the goofiest people have ever met in my entire life. ”

“His weird accents, sarcasm, and jokes will be greatly missed. I appreciate his sense of humor,” said Maddie Harper (19). “I will mostly just miss hanging out with him,” said Gavin Burkholder (19). “The fact that he was always a good teacher, but always knew when to take a day off is admirable,” said Spencer Hayes (19). Jarrett Adams (19) said, “He’s just nice guy. I appreciate how much he cares about his kids; they are all his family.”

The members of the Boys Golf Team will always have a special place in Maio’s career. Walker Scott (20), having been on the golf team and Maio’s student aide, said Maio is “the most influential person at Eaton High School. I will miss his quirkiness and sense of humor the most. I think his students will miss him a lot. He knew how to maintain a classroom that students were compelled to learn. I appreciate his sense of faith and his level of honesty. He has mentored me throughout the years, which I am grateful for.”