“Just Venmo me”

Sydney Booth, Editor and Chief

America is closer than ever to becoming a cashless society, and if you don’t care about it, you should. An accelerated transition from cash to strictly online banking could have far reaching consequences.

According to projections, America is about seven years away from becoming a cashless society, which is really no surprise when you take a look around. You’ve got credit cards, debit cards, PayPal, Bitcoin, Apple Pay, and the recently popular platform, Venmo, which is the future of person-to-person transactions, and Sweden and other European countries already setting the example for cashless societies.

There are still the skeptics, but according to a study conducted by the Global Acceptance Transaction Engine, one in five Americans believe that a cashless society will be a reality in their lifetime. What’s more, 48 percent of those believe that cash will be obsolete in the next five years. Based on current economic projections, it will take longer than five years to go completely paperless, but the feelings of consumers toward the issue are a large indicator of where the nation is headed. After all, isn’t cash only made valuable by the people’s confidence in it?

People sure have lost all confidence in cash over in Sweden, where cash transactions only account for two percent of all transactions, according to Forbes. That percentage is expected to be cut to just half a percent in 2020.

You hear people say it all of the time: “Just Venmo me $5.” It has been dubbed the banking app of Millenials, and

rightfully so. According to Statista, Venmo’s total growth in net payments on the app was 80 percent, accounting for $19 billion of transfers. Venmo acts as a middleman between accounts and friends. Money exchanged on the app can be stored in the on-platform balance for later use, or it can be cashed out to a bank account. This way, users can exchange “Venmo money” with one another without having their actual bank account balances change.

Despite its popularity, the app is far from perfect because nothing on the internet is perfectly safe. According to Investopedia, stories of users losing up to $3,000 (the maximum amount that can be stored in the app) to hack- ers is a common occurrence.

Venmo and banking authorities do not recommend keeping a large amount stored in the Venmo balance. With Venmo’s rapid growth, it’s a guarantee that the platform will only become safer to use and more popular as time goes on. Although the future of cash may be inevitable, it is dangerous and irresponsible. Think about it.

If you want money withdrawn from your account, you just go to an ATM. How- ever, if/when cash becomes obsolete, all money will be stored in the financial system itself.

That means the government and private enterprise could essentially leverage the economy through financial policy. Frankly, with the government’s track record on irresponsible spending and tax policy, voters need to keep it as far away from their bank accounts as possible.

About the Writer
Sydney Booth, Editor-in-chief
Sydney Booth has served as editor-in-chief of the Red Ink since the beginning of her junior year in the 2017-2018 school year. Sydney enjoys working in both the calm of the newsroom and under the immense stress of deadlines that roll around every quarter. Although she writes some of everything (news, feature, sports, and opinion), Sydney has always considered news writing to be her favorite style of journalism. Working on print editions is always the highlight of her day. In fact, when the time comes to lay out senior pages for the school year's final print edition, she can frequently be heard saying, "It's the most wonderful time of the year!" Although not all of the staff members share her enthusiasm about senior pages, they have been and always will be her favorite project. When she is not in the newsroom, Sydney can be found on the basketball court, out playing tennis, at church, yelling at fellow staff member Everet Slaughenhaupt, or reading a good book.