Paris runways take Eaton hallways

Spring fashions are on their way

Kaitlyn Tomlinson, Staff Reporter

Funky Socks

No one sees socks as a high-fashion-item, but this spring they are. Socks of any pattern, color, or length paired with any pair of shoes are a statement this spring. They can kick your outfits up a notch with ankle or knee-high socks. Runway models are pairing their statement socks with heels. But for a more casual look, Birkenstock sandals and Chuck Taylors with tube socks. The hallways of EHS can be your runway with this funky-sock trend.

Flower Power

The origin of floral patterned clothing is found in Asia because flowers are an integral part of the culture. They started in Japan with kimono fabrics with peony patterns. They were brought to Europe in the middle ages with floral lace, Chintz-cottons and silk brocades. In the 1960s floral patterned clothing was extremely popular with the “flower power” era. The trend of floral patterns never really has gone away. They can be worn at anytime of year but it is a staple in the springtime. This spring, bold and large-scale patterns will take on the iconic pattern.

Blast From the Past

Retro styles are back. Thrifted ‘70s and ‘80s clothing is especially trendy in the hallways of EHS. The bold trends of these time periods have made their way back but are definitely more toned down and casual. Some of the re-emerged trends are patchwork denim, velvet dresses, cropped jeans, off-the-shoulder shirts and dresses, big sleeves, lace, bomber jackets, Keds, and denim jackets.

Not Over Overalls

Another trend that is back in style is overalls. Refurbished versions of this classic “farm” style. People wear skinny jean versions of them, distressed, or cuffed pant legs. Overalls first became prominent in the early 1900’s when they were a symbol of the working class. They were not considered a fashion statement. They were a working-class statement until the 1990’s when teens would wear them with one strap hanging, French Prince style.

Swaggin’ Sneakers

Paris Fashion Week debuted Christopher Kane and his line of “ugly sneakers.” Teen Vogue said, “Apparently 2018 is all about the ugly shoe trend, and Christopher Kane, is definitely the one to blame.” Kane, a Scottish fashion designer based in London, has collaborated with Crocs for years, including bedazzled and fur lined Crocs. In his line of orthopedic shoes at Paris Fashion Week, he introduced platform sneakers. Models in the show wore them with fancy dresses. The trend is quite functional because you can do basically anything in sneakers. Be prepared to start seeing ugly sneakers in the hallways this spring.