Lady Reds destroy Liberty Common

Noelle Meagher, Staff Reporter

The Lady Reds continue the drive of an undefeated league season with a 53-25 win over the Liberty Common Eagles. The Reds come out strong in the first quarter scoring a large 17 points and keeping the Eagles off the scoreboard completely. The Reds brought the pressure right out of the gates, causing the Eagles to turn over possession of the ball in the first 10 seconds. Addie Randel (20) brought her best last night scoring the first basket of the night, and demanding attention with her outstanding defense against the Eagles. The whole gym showed the excitement of the Reds success at the end of the first quarter with the crowd on their feet at the buzzer. Continuing the pressure into the second quarter, the Reds kept the Eagles from scoring until halfway through the second quarter when the pressure appeared to lighten up. The Lady Reds went into halftime with a 19 point lead on the Eagles. Head coach, Todd Hernandez says, “We knew Liberty Common has been good for the past several years, and we knew we would have to come out strong. We weren’t expecting a 19 lead in the first half but we made sure we kept the pressure on them.”

Coming out of the half time talk, coach Hernandez says, “We knew we needed to maintain the intensity we have carried through the first half. We talked about focusing on getting better on the offensive end, but keeping up the hard work on defense.” The Reds came out of the half having a 26-7 advantage on the Eagles and put on another heavy 15 points in the third quarter. The Lady Reds allowed the Eagles an additional 7 points coming out of the half, which finished the third quarter with a lead of 41-14. Hernandez’s confidence in his team showed when he ended the game without a senior on the court, but yet still cheering on the underclassman putting in the work on the court to maintain the lead earned throughout the first three quarters. Celsi Jurgensmeier (18) said, “I feel like we all stepped it up last night. Everyone played their role and we all did well as a team.” The Lady Reds defeated the Eagles 53-25.

The Lady Reds will take on Resurrection Christian and Estes Park going into next week’s games, looking to extend their undefeated league season. The Lady Reds are now 6-0 in Patriot League games.