Golf preps for state

Peter Grossenbacher displays his first place plaque and ribbon at regionals. Grossenbacher won the tie breaker in a one hole shootout.

Alexandra Mellor, Staff Reporter

Grossenbacher wins regionals in tie-breaking shootout

Not only did Peter Grossenbacher (19) win the tie for first place individually at state regionals Monday, Sept. 18, he turned around and did the exact same thing one week later. Grossenbacher, who trailed at the beginning of regionals, said he kept his cool and started sinking birdie after birdie. By the end of 18 rounds, he was tied for first place. “The biggest thing is confidence,” Grossenbacher said. Coming in at two under par, Grossenbacher said that the best thing to do is stay calm when in a playoff. “I feel like I’m going to bury the kid who I am playing, and it really gives me the competitive edge.” Eaton took second out of 63 teams at Common Ground Golf Course in Aurora, placing only behind Colorado Academy. Their second place assured them a trip  to state tournament at Indian Peaks Golf Course in Lafayette October 2-3. Grossenbacher, in another shootout, won the Welco Championship on Monday, Sept. 25 before going to state this coming week. Coach Gino Maio said the team is prepared for state and that he is confident that they will do well. “With how Peter has played this season I see him placing in the top five at state,” Maio said. “The team has played well all season and I expect them to place in the top three at state next week.”

Eaton Scores: 1. Peter Grossenbacher 69, T-10 Bryce Leafgren 77, T-12 Walker Scott 78, 15  Ethan Alcazar 79.