Girls win eighth straight league

Track falls one point short of championships

Back to Article
Back to Article

Girls win eighth straight league

Reds boys and girls track and field team place second Saturday, May 4 at the Patriot League Championship track meet in Sterling, Colorado.

Michaela Hill, Sports Editor

Reds track team took second in Sterling, Saturday May 4 at the Patriot League track meet. The team fell one point (212) behind Frontier Academy (213) just short of walking away with the combined team championship. Head coach Guerra said, “Anyone who says talent doesn’t matter is a liar, but this is the time of the season where teamwork, mental toughness, hard work, and raw desire to be the best really comes into play.” 

For the eighth year in a row, Eaton’s girls track team brought home the Patriot League Championship, finishing with a total of 152 points. The girls left Sterling with five league champion titles. Lainee Hauer (12) won the 100 with a time of 12.98, placed second in the 200 and took part of two of the three champion relay teams. Hauer said, “It is a great feeling to be a part of a team of hardworking girls. League is the first time for a lot of people where all the hard work starts paying off, and it’s one of the best feelings.”

The 4×100 relay team consisted of Jenni Jarnagin, Emily Anderson, Ryanne Ehlers, and Hauer ran a 50.07, only 0.3 seconds from breaking the school record set in 2012.

Freshman Mackenzie Crouch anchors the 4×200 league champion relay team.

The girls 4×200 team also placed first with Jarnagin, Ehlers, Allie Phillips, and Hauer running a time of 1:48.58. The third relay to walk away with a league champion title was the 800 Sprint Medley, made up of Anderson, Shaylyn Renner, Noelle Meagher, and Phillips, who ran a combined time of 1:56.31 beating University by 0.16 seconds.

Off the track, Meagher placed first in triple jump with a jump of 34 feet 1 inch. “Being league champs just feels right,” Guerra said, “It made me really proud to see our girls go out there and dominate and to see all the hard work they’ve put in throughout the season be recognized.” 

Eaton boys team finished fifth with 60 points, ten of which came from the only league champion on the boys side, Scott Grable, in long jump. Grable finished first with a jump of 20 feet 6 inches giving him a back-to-back long jump league champion. Grable said, “It feels great to be league champ, but at the same time I’d like to see a couple more of my teammates join me.”

Sophomore Scott Grable wins league long jump for the second year in a row.

Even though the boys did not walk away with a league championship trophy, Guerra said, “Although the spotlight is on the girls because of their win, I’m also proud of the boys. One of my major goals is to build the boys team, and honestly I can not wait for the day both boys and girls win league.”

First and second-place individuals for the girls and boys are awarded a Patriot League All-Conference title while third-place finishers are awarded Patriot League All-Conference honorable mention.

Eaton’s athletes, who place in the top 30 in 3A, traveled to Fort Collins Friday, May 10 in hopes to secure a top 18 spot to qualify for state May 16-18.

About the Writer
Michaela Hill, Sports Editor
Michaela Hill started her journalism journey at Platte Valley High School, when she transferred her skills to join the Eaton Red Ink staff in 2018. Michaela enjoys writing sports stories and creating live twitter feed updates throughout games to keep our followers involved in all the action. She spends most of her time attending sporting events to get all the details. After the event, you can be guaranteed a story covering the game. Michaela is the Sports Editor of the Eaton Red Ink and spends her time in the news room approving all of the staff sports coverage stories. She is a three sport athlete that competes in volleyball, basketball, and track. Once graduated, Michaela will be attending Chadron State College in Chadron, Nebraska to compete for their track and field team. You can usually find Michaela partnered side by side with Media Editor, Noelle Meagher, at any and all athletic events.