Eaton Graduates at Stadium This Year

EHS Seniors graduate on the Football Field stadium for the first time ever.

For the first time in school history EHS seniors will be receiving their diplomas in the EHS Leslie R. Leake Football Field football stadium. Traditionally, students have watched the class slideshow and walked the stage inside in the gymnasium. But as the size of Eaton’s graduating classes have continued to increase, the number of tickets allowed per students for guests have decreased, causing many families to choose how to divide up tickets for seats in the gym. With a graduating class of 128 students, Principal Jay Tapia said the new location will allow a larger number of guests to attend and allow more family members to join on the celebration. The gym, packed to capacity for graduation is able to hold a maximum of 1250 people. The Leake stadium, on the other hand, will be able to seat over 14-1500 hundred people with both the east, west and some portable bleachers in use. The stadium is officially named after one of Eaton’s former principals, Leslie Leake, who ran the high school back when Eaton’s Mr. Bob Dorsey, was a student.

The ceremony outside does raise one concern. Administrative secretary Lori Selby echoed both the pros and cons of the event, saying, “I’m excited for the class. This will allow more people to attend, but I’m worried about the weather.” Colorado has a habit of changing weather rather rapidly, and everyone is hoping that May 20 will be warm enough for everyone to comfortably sit in the open bleachers.

This year’s senior class has also had another first–it has also been the first senior class for Tapia, who is finishing up his inaugural year as the new principal at the high school. “This senior class has been incredible to work with and get to know,” Tapia said. “They are leaders. I hope that I have made a positive impression in their lives. They have definitely made a great impression in mine.