They rally for us; we rally for them

The aspects of our highschool lives are very important, but our teachers and our education are one of the most important. The Red Ink staff would like to highlight the importance of our teachers and our school.

Through all of the tragedy and emotions we have experienced at the high school, we know first hand how important our district and our teachers are. Not only do the teachers at EHS help us, but they guide us through our life experience as students.

As students, the Eaton Red Ink supports our teachers and staff for standing up for our education and our funding. As a growing state and a growing town, we need more money to take care of our students and pay for things like athletic fees and technological fees that we have just recently been having to pay. Parents and students are having to pay out of their own pocket for fees and are taking up a bill that they should not have to pay for public education. In the past this was never necessary, but our school has grown and things have become more expensive so our school district has to rely on money from fees to give us the elements of learning that we should just be given like technology and supplies.

Thousands of teachers, including fifteen from our district and five from the highschool, rallied at the Capitol Building in Denver to protest for increased Colorado spending on education. Our teachers and our administrators are always stressing the importance of treating one another like family. Our teachers are exemplifying this by rallying for us and the education system that they already take a great part in by teaching us everyday and sacrificing for our needs.

According to the National Education Association, Colorado ranks 46th among other states in teacher wages. Colorado is by no means struggling economically; our teachers and students deserve more. According to the Denverpost, Colorado is among one of the fastest growing in the nation with population and is ranked tenth for job growth in 2017 for the tenth year in a row. Colorado has perks that other states  don’t have yet they are funding their schools more. Neighboring states like Wyoming and Nebraska are paying their teachers more than Colorado, but do not see any of the perks of the marijuana industry and who also are not growing in population and jobs as rapidly as Colorado. If other states can do it with the lack of resources and perks then Colorado should have no issue.

At the moment, our district is trying to pass a bond in order to make improvements to the schools in the district that have a lack of classroom space and modern entities. As of now, the elementary school is having to use storage spaces as classrooms, but with the bond, schools would be able to be improved and increase room for the growing student population.

Despite the lack of funding from the state, our district goes above and beyond to ensure above average test scores in Colorado. Teachers were themselves trying to send a message that our district matters to them and that they are appreciative for all it has done for them and for us, and they intended to help the district because of its support and importance in their lives.