Eaton FFA rakes in $19 thousand at service sale dinner

Seniors Jesse Mongan and Matthew Jones carry out Neo Orosco on stage to flex their muscles for buyers.

Celsi Jurgensmeier, Staff Reporter

Lauren Froid and Leah Fetzer show off their moves for buyers.

FFA raised over $19 thousand at its annual service sale, where company members and employers gathered to buy the services of FFA students on March 1. The buyers enjoyed a meal prepared by the Eaton FFA Advisory Council, EHS Catering, and the food service staff, then bought buyer numbers for the auction to participate in the sale of student labor. Each student that was “purchased” will give eight hours of work, and students were sold in pairs. Companies around the town and family members of students were a big contribution to the success. The buyers are able to have the students help with chores around the house, the farm, or the company. A silent auction was also held where students from Ag Fabrication were able to sell their work to the buyers.

Heidi Lanning said, “The FFA Service Sale and Auction is the main fundraiser of the year and provides the means for our FFA group to support our community in many ways.”

All the money raised goes toward events put on throughout the year like fall festival, banquets, service sale, competitions, and to be able to travel to national conventions. The money that is made supports everything they do. $17 thousand was made just between the sale of the students work in the auction, not including dinner that was $5 each, and projects that were created by the fabrication classes.

FFA President Lauren Froid (18) said, “This year was more successful than the last. The average for what the students were bought for was way higher. More people showed up, and the projects were sold for more than the year prior. The word was spread throughout the town to help more involvement within the FFA Service Sale and Dinner, and as a result it was a giant success.”

FFA Vice President Christina Potenza (19) said, “It was really fun and we had a lot of donations from the buyers. It was a great way for the community to get involved with our chapter and help support us. Without their donations, our chapter would not be as successful as it was and we would not have the opportunities that we do.”