Tyler Alm places first for second year

Poets and poetry lovers gather for annual coffee house

For the second year in a row, Tyler Alm represented Eaton at the State Poetry Out Loud contest on Feb. 28.

As Alm prepared for state, she said, “I’m awful nervous, and I kind of don’t feel ready. Last year, I had almost a month between the school competition and state, so I had more time to prepare and pump myself up, but this year I only have a week.”
Seventeen students competed for the chance to go to state on February 20, at the Eaton Library. The top three places were taken by Jazmine Mendez (18), who came in third with 104 points; Everet Slaughenhaupt (20), in second with 117 points, and Alm who garnered 120 out of the 124 possible points. Alm represented EHS last year in the national contest in which students memorize three different poems and recite them at state. The contest was held at the Lakewood Events center and the POL sponsers, Emily Sorenson and Deirdre White drove 7 students down to watch and support Alm. Sorenson said Alm made it through the first two rounds, which were mandatory, but she did not make it to the third round. “Tyler did an outstanding job,” Sorenson said. “All the students did, and we were so impressed with the level of skill the kids showed this year.” Lisa Zimmerman, a UNC professor of poetry assisted the students with preparing their performances. “This is our 8th year for Poetry Out Loud,” White said, “and Lisa Zimmerman has been with us from the start. It is really her who inspires the kids, and me, to love poetry.”