Debate over arming teachers continues

March 14, 2018

Pro

Pro

Saving lives and valuable minutes

Teachers today should have weapons and certain security measures in order to keep children safe in school in a time with so much violence and mass shootings.

In order to really prevent mass school shootings, there has to be some sort of defense in place to push the shooters away.

Police and other first-responders can’t quickly stop a shooter from the outside and have to get to the scene. According to American Police Beat, the average response time of emergency services is about 10 minutes. While first responders are on their way to the scene, innocent lives are being taken and the students have to depend on one another and their teachers for strategy and hope.

If teachers were armed, then school shootings could be more preventable, the school would be on defense. The Constitution allows Americans the right to bear arms, and one of the best ways to exercise this right is to have willing teachers use it to protect their students.

Whether there are gun laws into place or not, people will always be able to get ahold of guns or weapons in some way and with that threat always being present, teachers need to be armed. With teachers being armed the students would be safe from the threat of weapons which seem to always find a way to get into the hands of those who want them bad enough.

In the end concealed carry can be rewarding to the teachers and their paychecks. President Donald J. Trump says that teachers could be offered a bonus in order to carry guns, which could be a great thing to some teachers and their paychecks.

According to the National Education Association, the national average starting teacher salary is barely over $36 thousand. A bonus could boost that teacher salary average and allow teachers to make a larger amount of money. This is a small cost to help arm teachers and protect the students.

Some educators have knocked the idea of teachers with guns, but weapons would not be put into the hands of teachers that didn’t have some sort of experience and license. Many teachers have had military experience prior to their teaching and could be evaluated.

According to Giffords Law Center, background checks are effective and in 2012 they prevented about 192,043 people who were not supposed to be armed. Guns would not be put into just any teachers hands- especially not if they have had any mental illnesses or significant problems with students or staff members.