Red: strongest color of all

We may all be different, but we have one thing in common. We go to a pretty amazing school in a pretty amazing town, and the Red Ink staff would like to give some praise where praise is due.

Counseling Staff: Hats off to Marcy Sanger and Tara Kaysen, as well as all the administrators, who in the face of tragedy provided endless support to students, staff members, and community members as well. During the week following Kennedi’s accident, they provided food, movies and coloring books, counseling, Kleenex and every kind of comfort and compassion that you could hope for. They set the model for how to grieve well. Students brought pets into comfort others and the school truly embodied a family. People made it known how much they loved one another. They told them to text when they got home safe. They told each other they’d be around for anything they needed.

City Council: Three days later, a blockade was put up at the infamous Fifth Street railroad crossing, not more than two hours after a community meeting. Mayor Kevin Ross said, “We will get this done a hell of a lot sooner than 2019,” when referencing the painfully slow bureaucratic process of getting crossing arms and flashing lights. This type of bold action and raw emotion often times gets lost in bigger towns. Loss of emotion is not a concern with Eaton, as several audience members from the meeting could barely speak through their tears. And lack of action was certainly not a problem either.

Principal Jay Tapia and Eaton Teachers: Our new principal has made it clear this year that the school should strive to be a family, and family is what we have become. Grief-stricken, the school staff, and students alike were excused to attend Kennedi Ingram’s memorial service. That is what personal and phenomenal educators look like. There is no other place on earth that you will find better educators, a closer family or kinder students. Tapia made it clear that we aren’t just a bunch of students; we are a strong, family that will not allow ourselves to be held down by life. Every week, on the daily announcements, Tapia makes sure to reiterate the theme of family and has ever since taking as principal.

Students: #Redstrong could not be more evident in the days after Kennedi’s passing than it was as strangers cried on each other’s shoulders. A GoFundMe page was set up and raised xxx over two-and-a-half times the goal. On Valentine’s day, a week and a day after Kennedi’s death, some junior and senior boys decided that girls needed a ray of joy, and handed each girl a carnation as they came through the doors. A week after the accident, student council held a hat day, with all the proceeds going to Kennedi’s family.

The benefits of living in a small town cannot be understated, as a town grieves the loss of a tremendous friend, teammate, and family member. We rallied as a school and town to make each other stronger than steel. We all look different but have one thing in common, our RED STRENGTH, and that is what makes people glad and appreciative that they live in a town known simply as Eaton.