Band sends new and old to Patriot League

Two students perform at Patriot League, one for his last time, the other for her first time

The last year of high school is an emotional ride for some band kids who feel the weight of upcoming graduation on a whole different level. They practice with one another every day for a whole year, then watch their friends leave to pursue their dreams. This is the case for underclassmen Klara Cordova (20) and senior Michael Wright (18). Cordova’s first time in patriot league is Wright’s last.

Michael Wright  performed for high school Patriot League Honor Band for the last time on Tuesday, Jan. 22 along with seniors Bryce Decker, Stephen Haw, Sarahy Quintana, Adam Richling, and Tyler Whitaker.

Klara Cordova saw her first honor band with underclassmen Monique Achondo (20), Colten Cell (20), Anne Augustine (20), and others 

Though it is Wright’s last year, he said he felt as though it was still a great and useful experience that continued to teach him. Comparing his first time going to Patriot League to his last time going, Wright said, “What’s changed is mostly the confidence level. When you’re a freshman, you’re not very confident in what you’re doing and you don’t know what you’re doing. I guess from there to now I can go in there and feel confident about what I’m doing and not get scared when I’m about to meet new people. It’s just like, ‘I guess I get to go to an honor band and meet new people… yay!’  not, ‘I don’t know what’s going to happen, I’ve never done this before.’” After high school Wright said, “I plan on going to Aims for my G.E.D while working on aviation. Obviously I’m still going to dabble in music.” Part of the magic of band is making friends and learning who you are as a person. For example, band made it possible for Michael Wright to meet Klara Cordova (20). Wright said, “If it wasn’t for band, Klara and I wouldn’t have been friends.”

Despite this being her first year in Honor Band, Cordova said that she was not extremely nervous due to prior performances hat prepared her. Cordova said, “It wasn’t anything new, it was just another performance I had to do, and I did as best as I could, I think.” Cordova plans on performing music throughout her high school career just as Wright did, taking any chance she can to improve her musicality and personality along with it. Having already played trumpet for two years of her high school career, she is currently planning on learning not one, but three new instruments including the tuba, trombone and french horn.

Kids preparing to say goodbye is tough. Logan Doddridge went as far as to say, “We’re definitely a family.”