Red Ink

Kitchen fire causes evacuation of building

An+oven+caught+fire+at+EHS+on+Friday%2C+but+caused+very+little+damage.
An oven caught fire at EHS on Friday, but caused very little damage.

An oven caught fire at EHS on Friday, but caused very little damage.

Tesha Brown

Tesha Brown

An oven caught fire at EHS on Friday, but caused very little damage.

Sydney Booth

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.


Email This Story






Students were in for a cold surprise toward the end of Red 1 on October 27 when they had to evacuate the building due to an oven fire in the cafeteria kitchen. The fire caused no damage to the building and there were no injuries to the lunch lady staff or students. Students missed approximately the last 20 minutes of first hour but went on to enrichment right afterward.

The fire sparked as a result of an accident, according to principal Jay Tapia. Tapia said that the oven’s gas was meant to be turned off with one knob on the stove, but another knob was turned instead, causing the fire to spark. Fortunately, the fire had no material to burn and there was no damage to the building. Tapia said, “The way it’s hooked up, it’s pretty much all metal on the backside of the stove, so it [the fire] just shot up there, but there’s nothing really to catch fire, and it was extinguished quickly.” As soon as the gas was capped off, students were allowed to re-enter the building and continue about the day. 

Temperatures outside were freezing, and students could see their breath as they gathered with their individual classes outside the building. Students who evacuated from the 28 building were allowed into the basement of the tech building until they were let back into the main building. 

 

Leave a Comment

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.




Navigate Right
Navigate Left
  • Feature

    Leaving Eaton with good memories

  • Kitchen fire causes evacuation of building

    News

    District searches for a new superintendent, begins with community and staff focus group

  • Kitchen fire causes evacuation of building

    News

    Help for the Dalton family

  • Kitchen fire causes evacuation of building

    News

    Changes in math = better scores?

  • Kitchen fire causes evacuation of building

    News

    This is Our Town_ December Print Issue 2017

  • Kitchen fire causes evacuation of building

    News

    Changes coming, not new high school

  • Kitchen fire causes evacuation of building

    News

    Choirs put on fall concert

  • News

    Eaton community races to the finish for local girl

  • Kitchen fire causes evacuation of building

    News

    Listeria outbreak in the midwest: What you need to know

  • Kitchen fire causes evacuation of building

    News

    Eaton participates in a ThinkFast Interactive assembly

The Student News Site of Eaton High School
Kitchen fire causes evacuation of building