Football Beats Brush

Mason Koehn fights for yards before getting taken down by Brush. The Reds later scored off of the drive.

Dayana Peña

Friday, Sept.15, The Eaton Reds triumphed over the Brush Beetdiggers 35-21 in their third game of the season. While the Reds trailed behind Brush 13-14 during the second quarter, they recovered and shut out the Beetdiggers by scoring three more touchdowns in the second half.

Quarterback Austin Coalson (18) completed 10 out of 13 passes totalling 135 yards. Jake Sandau(18), Cole Herring(18), and Evan Anderson(18) all scored one touchdown with Travis Cunningham(18) scoring two touchdowns throughout the game. Pedro Duarte(18) put 3 kick points on the board despite the wind and unfavorable conditions. The team totalled 326 all purpose yards.

On the defensive side of the ball, Trenton Kramer(18) led the team in tackles with a total of 13 with the entire Reds team totalling 73 tackles. Head Coach Zac Lemon said,”it [defense] was really challenging, we had some problems stopping them, they had a really good offense team.” Henry Fritzler (19) completed 10 total tackles and including 3 sacks.

Late in the 4th quarter, the Reds plowed through the Beetdiggers into their 10-yard line. With less than 2 minutes remaining in the game, Anderson completes a touchdown as he falls into the endzone scoring the reds their final points, leaving the game at a score of 35-21.

Lemon says that on the field, “It’s all about effort and execution, and the biggest thing is trusting your teammates to make plays and knowing you don’t need to try and make every play. If you just do your job your other teammates will pick you up. I think we have great leadership, great experience and the guys do understand their roles really well, and understand what their expectations are, but they also trust other players to do theirs.”

Next Up: Eaton will take on the Sterling Tigers at home at 7 pm on Friday, Sept. 22